cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of broadband while I'm away from my uni address.

N/A

Is it possible for me to use my plusnet account at home while I'm not at my other address at university?

I'm home for Christmas and wanted to carry on using my monthly allowance while I was here, but I can't seem to log in, even though broadband is set up for this connection, although with my parents account which is with a different ISP and has a stupidly small monthly allowance.

I've tried adding my home number to the CLI list, but this hasn't done anything at all. Also, I'm able to log into my parent's ISP using the router that plusnet provided me with.

Cheers for any help.
7 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

There is a system in place (can't remember the name right now) which ties your line into a particular provider. This means you could log in with your details to another plus net's users line, but not another providers line.

Phil
Superuser
Superuser

I think it's called "Service Selection Barring"

Phil
Alecto
Grafter

I thought it was even worse than that, and that your telephone number was linked to your broadband account. So you can only access your Pn account from the number you registered with them.
Superuser
Superuser

Never has been for me. I have connected a new router to my connection and set it up with someone elses logon details many times. It's easier to configure the router at home before I take it to the customers site to connect up.

Also logged on with my details at other peoples PlusNet connection to make sure that it isn't something on their account that is causing them problems.

Phil
JonathanW
Grafter

Yeah, each phoneline is tied to a specific service provider, as this is what the realm (@plusdsl.net) is used for. When a line is provisioned it has one, or possibly more, of these set, and then in the future any username entered as whatever@realm is passed through to the appropriate service provider in order for their servers to handle authentication.

So any customer of ours can use their connection details on another PlusNet connection, assuming that they have the same realm.
N/A

So I can't use it here then Sad

Oh well.
Alecto
Grafter

And you can't even rent out your spare bandwidth to somebody who's still there as they may use too much and get you into trouble. Tongue