cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Ranking software

N/A

Use of Ranking software

We moved to Broadband with a router (Netgear 834) in September. Until then, we used a dial-up link.
We have a need to send hits to a ranking website using 'TopList Pro'. These hits would only be registered as unique once an hour from a particular IP address.
This worked fine over the dial-up link but we can register no hits at all using our current set-up and this started when we switched to Broadband access.
We have our router set to obtain an IP address dynamically but Plustnet set for 'Static IP address'. We have colleagues who use Plusnet (with the same settings) and the same router as ourselves and they can send hits using our link. We have compared router settings and found no discrepencies.
Is anyone familiar with this type of software and on what basis it is rejecting our hits.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place but I'm looking for someone who has good knowledge of the Plusnet and/or router settings to assist.

NB. Our PC settings have not changed (other than to define a gateway for Internet access).
3 REPLIES
wandelaar
Grafter

Use of Ranking software

Hi. sounds like the website you are posting to is still looking for your old dial up ip? Was this a fixed address?

I am sure you already know that the ADSL ip's are in a different address range and although it is a fixed address assigned to you by Plusnet, it is different to your old ip address.

Hope this helps.

Dave
N/A

Use of Ranking software

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
The website does not look for the same address (and no, it wasn't fixed) in fact quite the opposite. It will not take hits if the same IP address tries to hit more than once in the same hour!
I'm getting quite frustrated by this. If my daughter tries to send hits from her notebook connected to the router at home, they do not take, but if she repeats the exercise from her room at uni all is OK - so it seems it's not to do with our PC setups - I can only assume it's something to do with the router setup but can't find out what!!
wandelaar
Grafter

Use of Ranking software

Hi Again,

Sounds to me like you are connecting to the website within an hour?

The router will have a fixed IP supplied by Plusnet, but always the same address.

Even if you are using different machines through the router, to the outside world, your IP is the same, I.E. the router has the same address.

When your Daughter connects from Uni, the IP will be different.

Is it possible within the software you are using to make the 'reporting back' software wait more than 60 minutes before it connects back to the website?

Hope this helps.

Dave