cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use ASDL modem + dial-up modem on same line??

N/A

is this possible?

Obviously I can use the telephone while ADSL is active, I was hoping that the phone channel could be used for a dial-up modem (I want to 'remotely' log in to my home network)

Advice appreciated!
10 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

Hi,

Having a dialup modem working on the line while also connected to ADSL is not a problem.

Often do this to just keep a couple of old accounts active that I use now just for email.

Cheers

Roland
N/A

Note that if you use a plusnet dial-up service then try to connect to your network it will fail, the dial up account will steal the IP you were using for adsl, which is incredibly stupid and really upset me when I went away for chrimbo... when I returned to find my pc still happily sitting here I phoned plusnet and they confirmed this.
N/A

That only happens if you try to dialup using the same account name (if I dialled up using the username eurotrain4). What you need to do is sign up for a PAYG account (no subscription costs, just the 0845 phone charge) under a different username and use that.
N/A

Thanks for all your help!
N/A

Re: Use ASDL modem + dial-up modem on same line??

is this possible?

Obviously I can use the telephone while ADSL is active, I was hoping that the phone channel could be used for a dial-up modem (I want to 'remotely' log in to my home network)

I do this so that I can send/receive faxes on my computer, since ADSL modems can't do faxes - a major drawback.

Simon

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Fixed the BBCode for you]
michaelscott
Grafter

Note that a 56k connection on an ADSL will be slower than you are used to
N/A

I get full rate 46Kb/s on DSL enabled lines.
N/A

he he, I never got 46k before DSL activated.
:lol:
DSL enabled lines can reduce dial up speeds as audio bandwidth is reduced. It depends on how quite your phone line is.
N/A

Audio bandiwdth is not reduced. That would be a fault of your splitters
N/A

OK, no arguements and below statements could still be 'pushed about'. After all, it's still very much a "black art".

Yes you are right, the ADSL specification does mean that all the normal audio bandwidth is available on the line and it is the splitters that are at fault.
Audio requirements for voice is up to 20khz. ADSL signals are in the 80Khz to 110Khz region.
However, the cheap DSL splitters, which employ low pass passive filters, can clip the passing frequencies to the dial up modem/phone to below 20Khz. This can result in a narrower bandwidth for the modem modulation tones (8Khz at idle), hence possible slower speeds.
Leaving the splitter out, can also be as bad, as a dial up modem has practiaclly no filtering to filter out the higher DSL signals. Akin to having a 'noisey line'.
Of course, passive filters from different manufacturers and even the same filter from the same manufacturer can behave differently. The manufacturing tolerances on these low cost items is as wide as a barn door in relation to the relatively narrow cutoff bandwith they have to play with.