cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb Modem connection sharing

N/A

i have a basic dynamode USB modem which i dial up using to connect to my broadband service, i have been trying for ages to share the connection with my other PC,

i have a dsl router which both my pcs are linked to and i have shared the dial up connection which my other pc can see but the other pc cannot seem to do anything internet related how do i get it to work

i have given both Pc's Static IP's and tehy work on a network fine if i ask it to automatically detect the settings they can no longer see each other on the network,

what shall i do am i better of buyin a modem that can plug staright into the router? would that mean i wouldnt need to dial up? help!?!?
2 REPLIES
N/A

The best bet is to buy a adsl router as this makes life easier and it also sheilds you from attacks as the ip which is live on the internet is the router and not your pc. With a modem the live ip is you pc.

Failing that both pc's must be in the same range so pc one the one with the modem would have an ip o 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 the dns should be set to +nets dns.

The second pc would be next in the range ie 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 dns set to +nets the difrence is on the second pc you set the default gateway to the pc with the modem in this case the gateway would be 10.0.0.2.
N/A

worked like a dream cheers Shocked