cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage after Peak Time

N/A

Usage after Peak Time

Hi guys

Was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I know that you may only download 10 gig during peak time before bandwidth management is put on your line.

What I would like to know is what is the limit after hours? In the past, we were warned after we downloaded a total of 100gig for the month (of which about 20 gig was during peak time).

Its so hard to know what the situation is as it is contantly being changed by PN. I know next month the peak time usage will be raised.

Am I correct in assuming there is no limit for after hours (non peak) time traffic - even if you managed to download 100 gb + in that time? Since we have been upgraded to MaxDSL, we can do a fair bit more traffic than we could in the past.
13 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Usage after Peak Time

Current Plusnet policy is that on Premier, there is no limit, fair use policy, sustainable use policy or anything else outside peak time.

When I asked Plusnet that question, I was even given an example of a customer they were happy with who was downloading 300GB off-peak.

So fill your boots.

It may not last.
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

Thanx, that really helps Cheesy
Community Veteran

Usage after Peak Time

So fill your boots.

It may not last.

Whats that rumble I can hear??

Oh its ok, its just the stampede of hogs [bandwidth] coming this way :!:
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

Whats that rumble I can hear??

Oh its ok, its just the stampede of hogs [bandwidth] coming this way

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you were paying more for the service than I was :roll:
Community Veteran

Usage after Peak Time

loopass I wasn't referring to you!

I am referring to the likelyhood that once word is out that people get "all they can eat" off peak at plusnet, all the really heavy users who are elsewhere atm, will possibly stampede over here, and potentially swamp the available bandwidth during off peak.

Its just an opinion I hold, theres no need to get so upset.
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

Point taken - mods, please remove this thread Tongue
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

Too late Wink

I have a programe that can eat a HUGE ammount of bandwidth.. just want to check (excuse me for being paranoid) thats its ok.

It can eat *20GB* (or more) off peak... per day. Err guys are you sure this is ok? Plotting this graph forward, that would mean, err.. 600GB /month. I can try to limit this, (by restricting time crawling/speed of crawl - what would you suggest? Max from my connection atm seems to be about 4000kbs.)

If you want to know what it is: http://www.majestic12.co.uk

Edit: In case this correlates.. this programe used 23 gig yesterday (monday), 17 gig day before (sunday), and 9 gig sat.
Its running strictly off peak, it will automatically stop crawling at 4 pm, and start at midnight. It will upload all that is in its upload queue (usually about 20mb) after its finnished compressing it, which is the only activity it makes in peak time.
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

*bump*
Alecto
Grafter

Usage after Peak Time

well johnathon, a deafening silence there.

dare you to test them out and use 20GB a day for a month and see if you get a warning. It would be quite unkind of them to warn you even so, since you had the courtesy and good sense to ask....

but of course if they say Yes to you, and others see it, and want to do it as well.........

I think they want to take their usual pusillanimous approach and avoid direct answers. Pity, as obviously if we all downloaded 20GB a day, the whole thing would seize up.
shellsong
Grafter

Usage after Peak Time

I think even an ISP like Be* might start suggesting you aimed for a more modest usage than that (their unofficial nominal limit is about 15GB per day)! My guess is that PlusNet would have the screaming habdabs in very short order if you tried sustaining those sorts of levels or they'd limit you to 64Kbps for the rest of your natural! Wink
Community Veteran

Usage after Peak Time

or they'd limit you to 64Kbps for the rest of your natural! Wink

Yep I reckon the Elacoyas would have field day and clamp the connection right down. Smiley
N/A

Usage after Peak Time

loopass I wasn't referring to you!

I am referring to the likelyhood that once word is out that people get "all they can eat" off peak at plusnet, all the really heavy users who are elsewhere atm, will possibly stampede over here, and potentially swamp the available bandwidth during off peak.

Its just an opinion I hold, theres no need to get so upset.

no chancre if the cs stays the same
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Usage after Peak Time

It can eat *20GB* (or more) off peak... per day. Err guys are you sure this is ok? Plotting this graph forward, that would mean, err.. 600GB /month

To be honest I couldn't think of any ISP which would be happy if you used that much. I very much doubt PlusNet would be any different. I assume there is some kind of soft limit somewhere, just not a fixed figure!

That is astounding though, didn't think it would be possible to use that much. That program has got to be an ISP's worst nightmare.

In true Cilla Black style, that's a lorra lorra bandwidth Cheesy