cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds...

N/A

Upload speeds...

Hello,

I have a Broadband Premier 2MB account and the service quality has been excellent however i do have a little niggle with it though and that is simply that although the download speed (2272 kbps) is great the upload speed is simply painful (288 kbps) in that my 2MB connection is not suitable for hosting iChat AV conferences as the upload speed is just too slow. iChat AV requires an upload speed ideally around 400 kbps - the reason why i upgraded to a 2MB account from a 1MB account was that i assumed the upload rate would double allowing me to host these video conferences from home however i was in for a surprise when i checked my router status after my Airport reported an unchanged upload speed.

My question is that, is there any plans to change this speed cap and if not, is there a service on Plusnet where i can PAY just a little more each month for just that little bit more speed to make my life so much easier from home.

But anyway, thanks for the great service to date... i love rubbing it in to my colleagues that subscribed to a similar service with Wanadoo in that they've regularly got either down time or simply super slow time. Wink
7 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Upload speeds...

The upload speed is determined by BT when they made the services and not by PlusNet. When MAXDSL is launched later this year hopefully, 4mb will give around 400kb upload and 8mb will give about 800kb upload. These will be priced at £29.99 and £39.99 per month respectivly.
N/A

Upload speeds...

Sadly thats one of the limitations of ADSL. If it is a big issue for you, you could move to SDSL, but cheap it ain't!
Expect to pay from 175 to 325 per month, on top of an activation fee of 500!

once you have got up off the floor, and are wondering how the heck they can ask for that much brass, remember that 2years ago a 128k leased line would cost more than that (sometimes up to around 500 per month)

I have heard talk of "bonding" ADSL connections, so I would assume two lines with an upload speed of 256k, when bonded would give 512k, but how this works, if indeed it is possible is a mystery to me!
N/A

Upload speeds...

Ouch! That doesn't sound too nice for the wallet... Sad

Oh well, i guess i'll have to wait for 4mbps to arrive - although, i also live in Cumbria and where i live we've only had broadband for a few months so i can imagine it will be another long wait for the 4mbps service that is if any work needs done at the exchange.

Anyway, thanks for the replies...
craigbrass
Grafter

Upload speeds...

Out of interest, where abouts do you live in Cumbria?
N/A

Upload speeds...

what exchange are you connected to. You may be able to get a LLU service such as freedom 2 surfs. 8mbit downstream and 756kbt upstream with no cap for £24.99 a month. Of course this is dependant on the quality of your line as well as your telephone exchange being Easynet unbundled and being enabled for F2S. Theres also another isp called UKOnline offering 400kbit upstread and they have more exchanged activated than f2s though personally I woudlnt touch them with a barge pole.
LiamM
Grafter

Upload speeds...

The upload speed is determined by BT when they made the services and not by PlusNet. When MAXDSL is launched later this year hopefully, 4mb will give around 400kb upload and 8mb will give about 800kb upload. These will be priced at £29.99 and £39.99 per month respectivly.

Not strictly true. It's around 400k for IPStream Home MAX - the equivalent of todays 50:1 products and 800k for IPStream Office MAX - the equivalent of todays 20:1 products. So you need to be on quite an expensive product, like Teleworker Pro, or Small Business Pro, to get the 800k upload.
N/A

Upload speeds...

I suppose though I was talking in residential packages.. theres no way I would pay for one of those other types of connection.