cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Problem

N/A

Upload Problem

Hi all. I tested my upload speed for the first time in months today when I tried to send a file to a friend and found it impossible to do so because it kept freezing! I thought it was him at first but then I tried sending it to another person and the same thing happened, so I went to all the speed test places I could find and it doesn't look good...

These are the results from adslreview.org.uk:

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 374 Kbps (46.8 KB/sec) 430 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 9 Kbps (1.1 KB/sec) 10 Kbps (inc. overheads)

What it seems to do is upload real fast, then freeze, then upload real fast again which is awfully like the problem I had with my old dialup connections (using many other ISP's)! I thought I'd left these freezing problems behind me when I moved to ADSL but now it seems they're back.

Can anyone shed some light on these problems?

I remember testing my upload when I first got ADSL and it was fine.

Thanks for any help!
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Upload Problem

Hi Christine,

There has been a major problem with the upload/upstream for a while now.

some people are fine, while others are getting it bad. i had already rasied a ticket regarding this, but no luck. the old story that i was on RADSL and that i lived borderline with exchange was read from PlusNet's script.

Well the BT script to be precise.

You will find it gets better at night, it's always bad at peak times.

Maybe one day PlusNet will admit it's there fault and not my BT line being too far away from exchange.. as like you Christine
my upstream was once supersonic too Wink

We shall see what happens.. PlusNet already know of this problem.

Fingers crossed!

--
Jason
=====
N/A

PS> Christine,
the fault you described, uploads then stops, uploads then stops, then starts 30 secs later or if you are FTPing and the server has a timeout set.. then you are timed off.

This is exactly the problem i reported.
word for word.

See my post and the responses from other users with same problem. it is on the older post section here on the ADSL forum.

My upstream seems to be OK for now thou. im getting 30K up at moment.
but i understand what you have said.

Good luck.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Thanks Jason! I tested the upload early today and it was back to normal but I've just tested it now @ 7pm and it's down to less than 2kb/sec again, so your right it's only at peek times Sad

One thing they can't say is that I'm too far from the exchange because I'm less than 1/2 a mile!

I did have a very similar problem with my dialup connections though (with downloads + uploads freezing). One thing I learnt from that was to not blame the ISP entirely because I tried with freeserve, AOL, BTinternet and many pay-as-you-go services and all of them had the exact same problem.

Anyway thanks, I'll raise a ticket now that I know it's not just me and I'll see what they say!
N/A

> Thanks Jason! I tested the upload early today and it was back to normal but I've just tested it now @ 7pm and it's down to less than 2kb/sec again, so your right it's only at peek times Sad
>
> One thing they can't say is that I'm too far from the exchange because I'm less than 1/2 a mile!
>
> I did have a very similar problem with my dialup connections though (with downloads + uploads freezing). One thing I learnt from that was to not blame the ISP entirely because I tried with freeserve, AOL, BTinternet and many pay-as-you-go services and all of them had the exact same problem.
>
> Anyway thanks, I'll raise a ticket now that I know it's not just me and I'll see what they say!

Its not just you I have upload speeds showing twice as fast as downloads !!!!! its so erratic come on plusnet SORT IT OUT