cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a faster speed...

N/A

Well, i'm currently on 512kps ADSL, and i am about 3.68km from the Exchange (Straight Line).

Now, i've put the number and postcode into a BroadBand Checker, and it's saying i should be able to get 1mb, where before it said only 512kbs, and sometimes that i couldn't get that.

How would i go about upgrading to 1mb if availible?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Before you do anything can you post the attenuation and noise margin figures from your router/modem to get an idea as to what is possible.
This may help http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
N/A

What's the IP i have to type in again. I forgot. Tongue.
N/A

Wait, got it!

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 576 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 14.1 dB 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 15.9 dBm 11.8 dBm
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you want to upgrade to Max then you can opt-in at http://max.plus.net

However, based on this line stats I would be very cautious about it. The Attenuation figure is very high ay 63dB (which isn't a good thing, the lower here the better) indicating a very long line), while the SNR is a little on the low side.

There's a bit of margin to spare, but considering the high attenuation it may not quite be enough. As I say, we can certainly put a regrade in, but I just you should be aware that there's a chance that you won't see any increase in speed and it could cause the line to become more unstable.
N/A

I understand what you're saying, so i probably won't upgrade.

But, i know i'm a long way from the exchange, and we was lucky to get BroadBand, after waiting 3 years it, lol.

The line itself, at the moment, is not unstable at all. I'm getting a 512kb/s speed, nothing lower. I thought maybe it would act as a 256kb/s line, but it's runing as a 512kb/s, which is good.

Is there any sort of technology coming out in the future to allow people further away from the exchange to receive higher BroadBand speeds?

Also, if i do ugprade... what is the process? And how would i go about re-grading? It doesn't cost anything does it? As it says in the Premium Package that it's for free, i think.
Community Veteran

The line itself, at the moment, is not unstable at all. I'm getting a 512kb/s speed, nothing lower. I thought maybe it would act as a 256kb/s line, but it's runing as a 512kb/s, which is good.

I think what Dave was trying to warn you about was that it could possibly get reduced to 256K (or less) under Maxdsl technology.
A wise decision I think to stick on the 512K that you know is reliable.
N/A

Indeed, it would be a wise decision.

But, 59kb/s download speed is getting slow for me now. Especially was I would like to game online, whilst streaming a radio station, and maybe have my brother downloading on the upstairs computer without it giving me severe lag spikes when gaming.

I suppose, i'll have to wait untill i move, lol.
shermans
Rising Star

Can someone tell me whether these attentuation and noise margin figures would warrant an upgrade to MaxDSL please ?
ADSL Line Type GDMT
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding FAST
Line Attenuation (Down):30 (Up):16
Noise Margin (Down):31 (Up):31
Total Output Power (Down):0 (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 1152(K) UpStr: 288(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(FAST) (Near):3 (Far):0
undefined (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 1168621548
ADSL FW Version 0.49
ADSL Board Type Annex A
I do not pretend to understand them, and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Short answer - yes, definitely
shermans
Rising Star

Many hanks for that.

The reason I ask is because I live in a very isolated rural area, a good mile and a half from the exchange. So I assume that these logs are pretty good, given the location.
Cheesy
N/A

You're lucky.

I also live in rural area, but i am unable to get any faster than 512kb/s. Sad.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Given some of your line stats, you may have one of these filter boxes in your house, connected to your phone line, as per this thread.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49830

read the thread and you maybe able to improve your connection, 3.6km is not too far.
Zathras
Grafter

Local/remote Attenuation 21.5 / 12.0 dB
SNR 31.0 dB

Is that good enough for upto8mb?
N/A

Given some of your line stats, you may have one of these filter boxes in your house, connected to your phone line, as per this thread.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49830

read the thread and you maybe able to improve your connection, 3.6km is not too far.

That has just confused me, lol.