cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading an old 56k connection

SheffieldMike
Grafter

I've just upgraded to ADSL 1Mb from a Connect dial-up account. At present I'm having a few problems using ADSL from the preferred location in the house (soon to be sorted I hope), so it's useful to fall back on the 56K account sometimes. Also I travel around the UK on occasion and find it useful to log on from hotels etc. Wink

For how long will my 56K connection stay 'live'? Do I need to do anything when I decide I don't need it anymore? And - the crunch question - am I in danger of being charged for both the ADSL and the Connect account?? :?

Mike of Sheffield.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Title changed from all capitals as this is harder to read and considered rude]
5 REPLIES
N/A

Whenever you have an ADSL account, you have the option to dial in using a 56k modem using your ADSL account name. In fact there is a local rate number for this purpose, which is charged at 1P a min, I think.

However it's important to bear in mind, that you cannot be connected at home via ADSL and via dial-up if your travelling.

Personally to avoid this, I would setup a free (pay as you go) account with Plus Net for traveling, you'll still be able to pick up your ADSL account e-mail etc.

For how long will my 56K connection stay 'live'? Do I need to do anything when I decide I don't need it anymore? And - the crunch question - am I in danger of being charged for both the ADSL and the Connect account??

What connect account were you on? I think you'll find your connect account is actually gone, since you've upgraded but because all ADSL accounts have the option to dial in, this is why you've been able to get a connection. I don't see why you'd be charged for both, since you've upgraded your connect account.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Whenever you have an ADSL account, you have the option to dial in using a 56k modem using your ADSL account name.

Not quite correct. you would dial up using your username which is a little different than your ADSL sign up as it wont have the @plusdsl bit added to it Wink

You also need to use the roaming number to connect once your ADSL is set up as your no cost dial up will no longer be available.
N/A

Personally to avoid this, I would setup a free (pay as you go) account with Plus Net for traveling, you'll still be able to pick up your ADSL account e-mail etc.

You need to present CLI when using a PAYG account, which means you usually cannot use a PAYG account to dial-up from a hotel.

Tim
SheffieldMike
Grafter

Whenever you have an ADSL account, you have the option to dial in using a 56k modem using your ADSL account name.

Not quite correct. you would dial up using your username which is a little different than your ADSL sign up as it wont have the @plusdsl bit added to it Wink

You also need to use the roaming number to connect once your ADSL is set up as your no cost dial up will no longer be available.

So - Do I use the same "roaming" pay-per-minute number as before? I notice that this, and the Connect account info, have now disappeared from my Account Details.

BTW John Essex - did you work at Blackley some 25 years ago? :roll: Wink

Mike of Sheffield (formerly of Rochdale).
N/A

The roaming number is 0845 1400101.

Tim