cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrades for Alcatel ADSL Router & DHCP Issues

N/A

Upgrades for Alcatel ADSL Router & DHCP Issues

Don't you just love it when you pay good money for something and when you get it, there is no manufacturer's name on it. I was supplied with the Alcatel version 3881 Version 2.6k Router and would like to know where I go for technical support and upgrades. I doubt if PlusNet will provide this long-term now they don't use this model. So I'm looking for a manufacturer's name, website or whatever. Search for hours last night and came up with nothing - any ideas?.
ALSO
I have set up the router for DHCP and put in a fixed reservation for one of my computers which I want to remain with the same address. I have left that computer set up as a DHCP client (because I want to have the flexibility to cope with changing DNS addresses and be able to change the gateway address if I want and still have these given out by the router) and assumed, like other DHCP servers I have used, that when it boots and asks for an address, the router will recognise the MAC address and give it the address that is reserved for it. However it doesn't, it still gives it an address from the pool. Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES
fallingwaters
Grafter

RE: Upgrades for Alcatel ADSL Router & DHCP Issues

Hi, regarding your DHCP problem, I have found that once a PC has been allocated an address it will continue to use the same address, even after a reset or power down, you can force it to request a new address by using the DOS IPconfig command
"ipconfig renew_all"
this causes the current address to be released and a new one requested. I spent many hours trying so solve the problem till I discovered the command, other Ipconfig commands can be found by entering
"ipconfig ?".

I hope this helps

Bill

> Don't you just love it when you pay good money for something and when you get it, there is no manufacturer's name on it. I was supplied with the Alcatel version 3881 Version 2.6k Router and would like to know where I go for technical support and upgrades. I doubt if PlusNet will provide this long-term now they don't use this model. So I'm looking for a manufacturer's name, website or whatever. Search for hours last night and came up with nothing - any ideas?.
> ALSO
> I have set up the router for DHCP and put in a fixed reservation for one of my computers which I want to remain with the same address. I have left that computer set up as a DHCP client (because I want to have the flexibility to cope with changing DNS addresses and be able to change the gateway address if I want and still have these given out by the router) and assumed, like other DHCP servers I have used, that when it boots and asks for an address, the router will recognise the MAC address and give it the address that is reserved for it. However it doesn't, it still gives it an address from the pool. Any suggestions?

N/A

When you assign a pc to a fixed dhcp ip you have to give the router the mac address of the pc in the basic setup dhcp.

Support for a lot of routers is scarce first stop is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and ask any question on one of their forums

> Don't you just love it when you pay good money for something and when you get it, there is no manufacturer's name on it. I was supplied with the Alcatel version 3881 Version 2.6k Router and would like to know where I go for technical support and upgrades. I doubt if PlusNet will provide this long-term now they don't use this model. So I'm looking for a manufacturer's name, website or whatever. Search for hours last night and came up with nothing - any ideas?.
> ALSO
> I have set up the router for DHCP and put in a fixed reservation for one of my computers which I want to remain with the same address. I have left that computer set up as a DHCP client (because I want to have the flexibility to cope with changing DNS addresses and be able to change the gateway address if I want and still have these given out by the router) and assumed, like other DHCP servers I have used, that when it boots and asks for an address, the router will recognise the MAC address and give it the address that is reserved for it. However it doesn't, it still gives it an address from the pool. Any suggestions?

fallingwaters
Grafter

Hi, regarding your DHCP problem, I have found that once a PC has been allocated an address it will continue to use the same address, even after a reset or power down, you can force it to request a new address by using the DOS IPconfig command
"ipconfig renew_all"
this causes the current address to be released and a new one requested. I spent many hours trying so solve the problem till I discovered the command, other Ipconfig commands can be found by entering
"ipconfig ?".

I hope this helps

Bill

> ALSO

N/A

Thanks JM but this is where the problem lies, and the supplied manual (on FD) is rubbish. I go to Basic settings and add 3 fixed host entries. (I cut and paste from the DHCP table to avoid any errors). I then "save & reset" the router, release the host's IP reservation and renew and the host takes an address from the pool even though it's MAC address should have been recognised as requiring the fixed address. Then I look at the DHCP address and find that ALL THREE of the MAC addresses I entered have been changed to the same (and unknown to me) MAC address:
DYNAMIC 192.168.8.3 00-e0-18-a0-5e-8e 29:23:59:47 MESH2
FIXED 192.168.8.80 00-20-0c-08-9c-a0 infinite
FIXED 192.168.8.81 00-20-0c-08-9c-a0 infinite
FIXED 192.168.8.82 00-20-0c-08-9c-a0 infinite
That top MAC address (00-e0-18-a0-5e-8e) was definitely put in as a fixed host address, along with two others.

Thanks for the info on adslguide.org.uk, I'll post on there later today.

> When you assign a pc to a fixed dhcp ip you have to give the router the mac address of the pc in the basic setup dhcp.
>
> Support for a lot of routers is scarce first stop is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and ask any question on one of their forums
N/A

Thanks Bill, in my version of Windows it's ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
What you describe is normal "leasing" of addresses and I suppose I could set the leases for some gigantic expirey time but that would apply to all hosts, I just want one to be fixed. Also, when you "renew" the host will get the first available address from the pool, which may not be what I want it to have. I have just found out that the fixed entries that I put in are "changed" when saved in the router. Looks like a bug to me, but where do we go for help, any offers Plusnet Tech Support?

> Hi, regarding your DHCP problem, I have found that once a PC has been allocated an address it will continue to use the same address, even after a reset or power down, you can force it to request a new address by using the DOS IPconfig command
> "ipconfig renew_all"

N/A

The manufacturer's website is http://www.aceex.com.tw/.

Tim
N/A

The router I have from pn has the same problems. And so does the pn test router. Hey have you tried messing with the lease time? Complete rubbish, the minutes field turns into hours, yawn. And them there is not way to do ity form the console intrface! But u can set the reservations (fixe host entries) there just remeber to use ':' instead of '-'. Its bollocks, isnt it!