Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 8mb disconnected more frequently

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi

I am not complaining i think of all the ISP out there PN are not bad. However since i have been upgraded to 8mb my speed very rarely exceeds 2mb it used to reach nearly 3mb for the first few days but then dropped i am not too unhappy about that as i only ever got 2mb before but i have noticed i seem to get cut off a lot more often now. I used to leave my comp downloading at night and 9 times out of 10 it would still be connected in the morning now it is never connected in the morning, i dont know at what time it cuts me off but it never lasts through the night. Could this be the line not capable of taking the higher speeds and so causing problems,i know the exchange is about a mile and half away could that be a problem.Sorry if this is a naff question but as they say...I dont know whats under the bonnet i just drive it....
7 REPLIES
N/A

Random disconnects are possibly the hardest thing to diagnose- as the problem could be in so many places.

In general the advice seems to be as follows-
1. Check that all telephone points and extensions have microfilters installed.
2. Try swapping the microfilter for your modem with another one, either new or from elsewhere in the house.
3. Unplug everything from your the phone line and plug your modem directly into the master socket or- better still- into the test socket (see Q30 here for how to find your test socket).
4. If possible try connecting with a different modem/router.

If none of the above works run the "Broadband Fault Checker" from within "Connection Settings".

If this solves your disconnect problems you will also probably see higher sync speeds, although that will depend on line attenuation and distance to the exchange. If you could post your router stats then someone should be able to advise you of the maximum speed your line will support (see here for how to find stats on current PN modems and routers).

These stats will also be useful to diagnose any problems outside of your house.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi

Thanks for the reply but why would these disconnection only have started when i upgraded to 8mb ? Surely if it was an equipment or line problem i would have been getting these then, my connections have never been great but have got considerably worse since i upgraded to 8mb......?
N/A

Fixed rate and MaxDSL products work in different ways, essentially MaxDSL is far more sensitive to noise and interference as the line is pushed to it's limits. These means that people who had a rock solid Fixed Rate product may have constant issues on an "upgraded" MaxDSL connection on the same line.

Some people actually choose to go back to fixed rate.

If you could complete the actions in the previous post then this should help eliminate or find the source of your problems, and we'll work from there.

This thread might be worth a look, as might here.
bikepump
Grafter

cownfield m8, exactly the same problem here : http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55158

disconnections, slow speeds etc.
Community Veteran

who long have you been on max? if its about 10 days or so it could just be down to your line spped being figured out by the exchange.

Are you sync'd at a higher rate or are you sync'ing close to the 2mb speed?

A
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Its weird my speed has suddenly gone up to over 3mb never been that high before, after reading advice i'm going to try a wireless router as im still on the old Voyager 105 which appears not to be very compatible with the higher speeds..Thanks for the replies and i will be back if the change does not work....
N/A

Did you speed improve after following the suggestions above? If not do try them as reducing attenuation from internal wiring may cause the sync rate to increase still further.

The Netgear DG834G has a great reputation around here and, as with all Netgear products, is supposed to be extremely good at coping with low SNR.