cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to speed

N/A

Upgrade to speed

OK so Im slow. Very slow.

Thought I'd let it all die down and kind of wind its merry way to the end...however

My father and I (both PlusNet) are on the same exchange and the same doobery whatsit at the exchange (I know this as I looked), yet he gets 2MB (and has done for 3 months or so) - hence the exchange has been upgraded, yet I still get 512Kb only.

My router stats are :-

Downstream Rate: 576 kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 26.0 dB (Downstream), 26.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 53.3 dB (Downstream), 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 15.7 dB (Downstream), 11.9 dB (Upstream)

I think the above figures indicate 1MB ...

any thoughts any one who knows ?

Cheers

Pat
8 REPLIES
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Hi Pat,

Yes your line stats look ok for 1mb, but are well outside current limits for 2mb.

The upgrade program seems to be a bit hit and miss. BT seem to be missing some lines out here and there.

Hopefully, as the mop up, for those who have been missed, progresses you will benefit from an upgrade.

Have you checked the BT Checker to see what their database says your line will support?

It has been shown to be less than accurate in the past and as such if it shows your line as incapable of a faster speed you will remain at 512kbps.

If that turns out to be the case, post back, I am aware of a method of getting the database amended.
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Woo Thanks for the prompt reply Mark!

BT says :-
"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest. "

Ummmmmmmm....seems to be ok...what to do next ?

Cheers again

Pat
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Your welcome.

Nowt to do now but wait and hope they get to you in the early stages of the mopping up.

Hope the wait isnt too long. Smiley
daveyb
Grafter

Upgrade to speed

Hi Mark,

My router's stats are attenuation at 54db and SNR at 20db and I have had a perfectly stable 512kbps connection (for 18 months now). I've asked about the free speed upgrades and been told today that I'm in the "might get 256kbps or 512kbps" class on the BT database and so no upgrade will be attempted.

You say you may know of a way to get the database amended. Could you elaborate?

Many thanks, David
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Hi David,

Stats look ok for 1mb. I have sent you a PM re getting the BT database looked at.
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Any chance of me getting that pm ? I am having line quality issues and have raised a ticket. I just want to make sure that i cover all options for fixing my problem.

Cheers, Gareth. Smiley
N/A

Upgrade to speed

Hi Gareth,

Do your router / modem stats disagree with what the BT database shows as the max speed for your line?

What are the line quality issues you are experiencing?
N/A

Upgrade to speed

When i had ADSL installed in January my line tested by the BT engineer as…
Line attenuation - 44.5 db, signal - noise ratio - 21.5.
I am 3.5 km from the exchange. I then got speeds of 1700 - 1900 kbs and i was very happy.

In May my speeds dropped to 800 - 900 kbs andrecently i have got 550 kbs ( BT speedtest & Plusnet speedtest ).
Now my line tested from the master socket is:
Line attenuation - 53 - 54.5 db, signal - noise ratio - 13.5 - 17.4

The 10 db drop in line quality is actually a 10 times loss as it is a logarithmic scale.

Bt line check shows 512k as service for my line, so my router stats do disagree as my line noise is below 60db.