cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Max - did I blink and miss it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What equipment are you using (router/modems)?

Have you got extensions or are you plugging in to the master socket?

Can you post your modem/router stats (attenuation and noise margin).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
9 REPLIES
Claremac
Grafter

On December 29th I requested an upgrade to "up to 8Mb" . When I had heard nothing by last week, I raised a ticket to ask what was happening. I was amazed to be told that I had already been upgraded and that my max speed would be 1500Mb. I thought that when you were upgraded you knew it was going to happen but I had heard nothing.

Doing a speed test I get

IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1385 kbps

which is pretty much what I was getting before I was "upgraded". I've queried whether there is anything that can be done to improve the speed. I'll be really disappointed if 1500Mb is the best I can expect. Can anyone suggest anything please?

Kind Regards
Clare
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've just had a similar experience and was advised by Tech Help to contact Customer Services. I contacted then on Feedback with copies of correspondence, ADSL stats, BT spped test etc, They tweaked someting and now speed is going up from the 970kpbs I was gwtting bothe before and after Maxing.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Claremac
Grafter

Hi Elvin, thanks for answering.
I am using a Belkin Wireless G Router and, unfortunately, the PC and router are at the back of the house and the master socket at the front so I am using an extension.
You've lost me on the last question as I don't know much about this. Where do I find that info please? Thanks again.

Clare
N/A

This page tells you how to get at the statistics showing the characteristics of your line for most popular routers. (Including some Belkin ones)

These stats can be interpreted to estimate the speed your line may be capable of providing you.
Community Veteran

Short of moving your house nearer to the telephone exchange. (Judging by Monster moves last night, thats is not imposable !!!)

One trick that has given many people a little extra speed is to remove the ring wire from their phone extensions.

A quick google on “ring wire removal” will reveal all.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to find the stats from where your router is currently situated. Then take everything through to the master socket and check the stats again. If they have improved there are things you can do (such as disconnecting the ring wire).

You also need to check in the test socket behind the master socket as that eliminates all the extension wiring:

If you have a wireless router, why can't you have the router by the master socket and have a wireless card in your PC at the back of the house?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Clare,

Looking at your line speed history from BT it seems to be switching between 1.5Mbps and 2Mbps, at 2048kbps it isn't far off 2Mbps (needs to be 2272kbps or higher).

The BT estimate for your line is 1.5Mbps so it's probably about right. Worth having a read through this to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

as any incorrect wiring or filters can easily reduce the speed a little.
Claremac
Grafter

Thanks, everyone, for all your replies. I looked at the link James gave but still can't work out how to find out the relevant stats? The details on the Belkin aren't all that helpful unless I'm not seeing it?
You've put the fear of God up me with the thought of taking tools to the master socket but it may come to that. I have a wireless laptop as well as the desktop so would that be useful in trying to work out if there is a problem within the house? I can't really move the router to near the master socket permanently as the socket is in the front hall and there is nowhere to put it.
Dave, thanks for the link. I'm trying to get my head around the details of splitters etc. Are you saying that, even if I can improve the speed a bit, the best I will be able to manage is 2Mbps?

STOP PRESS
I was clicking around trying to find out where to get the router stats and went into Control Panel>Network Connections and found 2 icons - Local Area Connections and 1394 connection. I clicked on the last one and it said connecting and showed 400Mbps at the bottom of the screen where it usually says 100 Mbps. I must have had the setting wrong all along. I now have both the LAC and the 1394 connections showing at the bottom of the screen.
Can't get the BT test to work at the moment though so tried the ADSL site test and it's still showing 1400 Mbps. The strange thing is that I am definitely surfing faster. Any ideas please? I’m getting really confused about all this.

Kind Regards
Clare
Claremac
Grafter

Thanks, everyone, for all your replies. I looked at the link James gave but still can't work out how to find out the relevant stats? The details on the Belkin aren't all that helpful unless I'm not seeing it?
You've put the fear of God up me with the thought of taking tools to the master socket but it may come to that. I have a wireless laptop as well as the desktop so would that be useful in trying to work out if there is a problem within the house? I can't really move the router to near the master socket permanently as the socket is in the front hall and there is nowhere to put it.
Dave, thanks for the link. I'm trying to get my head around the details of splitters etc. Are you saying that, even if I can improve the speed a bit, the best I will be able to manage is 2Mbps?

STOP PRESS
I was clicking around trying to find out where to get the router stats and went into Control Panel>Network Connections and found 2 icons - Local Area Connections and 1394 connection. I clicked on the last one and it said connecting and showed 400Mbps at the bottom of the screen where it usually says 100 Mbps. I must have had the setting wrong all along. I now have both the LAC and the 1394 connections showing at the bottom of the screen.
Can't get the BT test to work at the moment though so tried the ADSL site test and it's still showing 1400 Mbps. The strange thing is that I am definitely surfing faster. Any ideas please? I’m getting really confused about all this.

Kind Regards
Clare