cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 8MB - recent email

N/A

Hi guys,

Recieved this mail from Plus today, its a little unclear as to what it actualy means. Ive got 2MB already and it looks like the mail is telling me ill get upgraded to 8MB (or as near as i can get)...........isnt very clear. Copy of mail below:

"This is an email from PlusNet to let you know about changes to your product, as announced in our recent newsletter.

Your PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb (Annual Contract, No Modem) product is now known as PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 (Annual Contract, No Modem).

We'll also automatically upgrade you to up to 8Mb broadband - this should take place over the coming months. Once done, we'll email you again to confirm the good news and let you know some important details about high-speed broadband.

About your broadband upgrade
----------------------------
High-speed up to 8Mb broadband works in a different way to your current service. After we've upgraded your account, the actual speed you receive may vary depending on the quality of your phone line, distance from your local telephone exchange and weather conditions.

Due to the way the service works, we cannot guarantee a full up to 8Mb service.

In the ten days following your upgrade, you may see your speeds vary. This is perfectly normal, as tests are carried out during this period to see what speed your line can support. It's important that you stay connected during this ten day period so that these tests can take place. After ten days you should see your speeds stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support."

So there you go, any ideas?

Thx

AJB
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

yep.

It means you have been moved over to the new product premier option1 which is the replacement for the premier up to 2Mbs product.

PN need to change customers to these products as a forerunner for the future upgrade to MaxDSL. The new product also has a different peak time allowance although I'm not sure if it has been implemented as the new VMBU related to it has not been finished yet.

As the email states, the actual speed upgrade will occur sometime in the future when 1) your exchange has been upgraded, 2) PN have placed an order with BTW and then when BT finally get around to changing your connection at the exchange.
N/A

Cheers Peter,

Having just gone over the new product specs i think we are onto a right winner to be honest! I live about 218 mteres from my local exchange so looks like the possibilty of an 8MB connection may well be a reality for me Smiley Totally and uterly very happy indeed!!
N/A

Hi!

I have a question about this part of the email I also received today :

It's important that you stay connected during this ten day period so that these tests can take place.

Does this mean they want your computer on 24/7 for 10 days? Just the router? Or just connect as many times as you can in the 10 day period?

I would not be happy leaving the computer on for 10 days! I would still be fairly unhappy leaving the router on for 10 days but may just be able to do that.

Anyone have a clearer idea about this? Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Lee
Community Veteran

Previous postings in the forums suggested that as long as the router was connected for at least 45 mins on 10 consecutive days then that would be enough to set the line speed. Not sure where it was said though but it was somewhere here.

A
N/A

It means you have been moved over to the new product premier option1 which is the replacement for the premier up to 2Mbs product.

Any idea if there is some "new name" for PAYG (10GB Special Offer)

My billing date was 02/April, but no special e-mail, and so far I don't know if the 500 MB of traffic used on Monday 03/April between 00:00 and 03:00 was "free" (as it should be) or goes against the quota (it certainly appears to have come out of my allowance and seems not to have been "free" at all!)
N/A

I am on PAYG and I got a similar email telling me I would be automatically upgraded to 8Mb when available, however my exchange was not upgraded at the time. Plusnet checker is now showing that it is upgraded and capable of 8Mb, so when do I get my 8MbHuh
N/A

I am on PAYG and I got a similar email telling me I would be automatically upgraded to 8Mb when available, however my exchange was not upgraded at the time. Plusnet checker is now showing that it is upgraded and capable of 8Mb, so when do I get my 8MbHuh

I was wondering the same.

Currently on 2Mb PAYG but phone number checker is showing up to 8Mb now avaliable.

But "Upgade Account" option isn't showing a PAYG 8Mb option.
chymorva
Grafter

Does this mean they want your computer on 24/7 for 10 days? Just the router?
Just the router.

I would not be happy leaving the computer on for 10 days! I would still be fairly unhappy leaving the router on for 10 days but may just be able to do that.
Agreed about leaving the computer on for 10 days, but why are you unhappy about leaving the router connected ?
N/A

Think my router has been on (with the exception of power cuts) since I had it - as I use a voip handset it needs to be but even if I didn't i wouldn't have problem - they're designed for 24x7 operation (as are most PC's if we ignore the environmental aspects).

The only reason for turning a router off I can think of is power saving but then again the power draw on router (consumer grade) is hardly astronomical.