cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade or go?

N/A

Upgrade or go?

Hi,

I have been a plusnet customer for just over a year now. They were fine up until they changed my contract (without my permission, regardless of what they say), then things went downhill.

Im a BB+ user, and I get hit by restrictions very quickly every month for using too much bandwidth. I dont really do much P2P (on occasion i'll need a file or two), but I do work in IT and use linux a lot for my work, so i do download ISO's from websites - but again, not that often and usually during the day.

My other half and I both play online games in the evenings however, and i'm guessing this is what I get squeezed for every month.

I've narrowed my choices to:

Pipex (£24.99, max account). I was with them for years, when I moved house we opted for plus.net, as they seemed to be offering a good deal. Pipex were excellent. Great customer service, only one outage in 3 years, and they emailed me in advance to tell me about it. I was never hassled about limits, but then the connection was 512kbps. Right now, they offer for 24.99, unlimited access, and a fair usage policy that operates 6pm-10pm, but is only tested for traffic generated over P2P. They have no formal limits, but say "if you're slowing everyone else down with P2P" (i just got off the phone).

Staying with plus.net. for £21.99 they say no limits, whatsoever. Ive had a poor time with PN, but if its purely down to package choice, it'll probably be less hassle to stay - *if it means i can do what i want, when i want without being restricted*

Opinions anyone? ( would welcome comment from Plus.net on this to be honest, as well as other users ).

EDIT: oh, one more thing. Ive done my 12 months "time" with PN, if i upgrade, will i be contracted to stay for another 12...?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Upgrade or go?

Staying with plus.net. for £21.99 they say no limits, whatsoever.

@ £21.99 that will be Premier option 1, and it does have limits.

Chilly
N/A

Upgrade or go?

Another contract change that was slipped in without you knowing. :lol:

All residential products are on monthly contracts now, so you can move to another package, and only be required to give 30days notice.

(Business and Teleworker Accounts are still 12mths initially then 30days notice)
N/A

Re: Upgrade or go?

Staying with plus.net. for £21.99 they say no limits, whatsoever.

@ £21.99 that will be Premier option 1, and it does have limits.

Chilly

Hi Chilly, can you point me to the page that gives all the options and says what the limits are - ive looked and looked but I cant seem to find what you say - although its there of course, im just too dumb to find it Cheesy

I found this page:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml

No mention of restrictions there, and theres only one prem account - this seems echoed throughout - so im just not looking in the right spot Smiley

Cheers!
Community Veteran

Upgrade or go?

N/A

Upgrade or go?

Chilly, many thanks for the pointer.

I think i'm getting there on making my mind up.

PN just dont seem honest to me - well not up front anyway. To paraphrase Maggie Thatcher they seem "economical with the truth". They seem to bury "uncomfortable" things, slip changes to contracts in and act like used car tradesmen.

For instance, the Premier 1 option seems to say that you dont have limits (on the surface). A little more digging and you find theres a 20 gig limit to peak time activities. Ok i thought, 20 gigs sounds like a fair amount considering how i use my connection. Then i found out its actually 13 gigs, not 20. They start squeezing the connection as per my current bb+ at 13 gigs, and cut things off at 20.

I think this muddlying of the waters has finally made my mind up - i'd rather give my cash to an up-front provider that has been very good to me in the past.

After Xmas, i'll put up with the horrid task of attempting to migrate to Pipex.
N/A

Go, go, Johnny go go go go!!

They're not just economical with the truth, they are out and out liars and charlatans. Never mind the ever moving goalposts that we've had to put up with for the last 2-3 years, I tried to take them to task about the use of "unlimited" in their marketing lies and they refused to admit to such deliberately misleading hype. Lo and behold they've gone and changed it - wonder if it was anything to do with my call to trading standards. :twisted:
N/A

Upgrade or go?

By all accounts, that sounds like a case of 'out of the frying pan into the fire' to me.
Pipex have a pretty poor reputation as well tbh.
I know of two people who left them recently stating they were 'a steaming shower of s**te' reporting terrible gaming performance, poor peak time performance all round and heavy traffic shaping.

Sound familiar?
N/A

Upgrade or go?

LEAVE. PN are shite. they only care about the share holders. They used to be gud, but as usual they turned into greedy PLC!!!
N/A

Upgrade or go?

By all accounts, that sounds like a case of 'out of the frying pan into the fire' to me.
Pipex have a pretty poor reputation as well tbh.
I know of two people who left them recently stating they were 'a steaming shower of s**te' reporting terrible gaming performance, poor peak time performance all round and heavy traffic shaping.

Sound familiar?

Hehe well Pipex were excellent before, but if you say they're having problems, who would you say to go to in order to get an "old school" connection - eg - no lag, not oversold, not limited and honest up front billing and tech support?
N/A

Upgrade or go?

Well thats the big question isn't it Wink
I still haven't fully made my mind up as to where to migrate to.. but im pretty sure that one of the Entanet resellers will be my next destination. One with monthly contracts so it's easy to escape if it all goes tits up.
I have friends with Aquiss who are having no problems and report great gaming performance.
Zen still seem to be a good choice if a little expensive.

If Be* are available in your area then they certainly sound like a good choice.

As with all these things, it's always going to be a bit of a gamble...but i'd pretty much bet my life that any of the above will be a far better experience than Plusnet or Pipex.
shellsong
Grafter

Upgrade or go?

Have a look around http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php paying particular attention to recent comments left by users of the ISPs you are interested in and maybe compare with recent comments left about PlusNet

Should help you get to grips with what's going on in ISPland at present