cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from usb modem to Router.

thepark
Grafter

I have a Binatone 500 USM modem which I have had since I got BB a few years ago. I am thinking about getting either a ZyXEL Prestige 660H Broadband Router or a Netgear DG834. Will it be worth the cost? I have been having problems re speed because of my distance from the exchange. I used to get 2meg speed when ADSL Max first came out but over time this has gone down to less than 1meg. Anyone have any opinions? I have read that ethernet routers are more stable. Contributions gratefully accepted.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Don't know anything out the Zyxel but the Netgear has a very good track record as a home router and can cope with very low quality lines - just make sure you are running the latest firmware - I have used it in the past and 2 of my family are currently using them with no issues.

If cost is an issue why not try a 2nd hand unit - http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp - the Netgear wireless unit is £20.
thepark
Grafter

Thanks Peter. I have identified good prices for the netgear. Do you know if Plusnet would restart my DSL Max when I install a new Router? I understand from previous correspondence they resist this.
Community Veteran

thepark
Grafter

Thanks. I am on Max adsl. I thought it was the sync speed that was supposed to increase over days. This has not happened for me in the past only suddenly gone down in sudden stages on the occasions of weather problems. It never seems to recover as I'm told it should. When I was first put on Max it was very good, so I wondered whether it was possible to get to that starting point again with new equipment. Thanks.
craig_p
Grafter

hi
i run a netgear dg834 g on max dsl, firmware version V3.01.25 with three hard wired pcs connected to it. Had it for 16 months and no probs yet.
To get the sync speed up on max dsl you need to turn off the router. I have mine on a timer to go off at night and back on in the morning. This seems to work and i get speeds of 4500 when all is working ok. I live a fair way from exchange as well.
look at pc world web site. Also if you do not intent using wireless, as this is not the fastest router for that, you might be able to get one for under £40.00.

Hope this helps Cheesy