cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade disconnections causing total lock-up

N/A

Hi, it's now 6 days since I was advised that my regrade was complete and am still suffering multiple disconnections (30+ yesterday) and speed up and down like a yo-yo. I'm trying to be patient but the real killer is that every so often the disconnect causes a total lock-up of my PC. I can't raise Task Manager, I can't power down the processor box by switch and have to resort to turning off at the mains power point. Any thoughts as to why or how to avoid this problem other than deliberately disconnecting ADSL while using spreadsheets, Wp etc. which is extremely irritating Cry
My wife blames me for it all, of course, as it's ruining her ebay bidding Cheesy .
11 REPLIES
N/A

It should stop after 10 days (maximum I believe). What is actually happening is the line is being tested to find out the Max stable speed.

It might be worth investing in an ADSL Router if you are using a USB modem as these are often much more stable at high speeds etc.
N/A

Thanks for the reassurance but I'm puzzled why I get the lock-up on what is usually a very stable system. I'm connecting through an internal Conexant AccessRunner PCI ADSL WAN Adapter supplied by PN.
N/A

Its the way MaxDSL works. Its trying to find your max stable speed on your line, but the only way it can change speed is by disconnecting and reconnecting.. Silly eh?

Anyway that setup sounds fine, you most likely have a Wireless Router so you should be okay. After a few more days it should settle down, PN will email you when everything is finished and you should be back to stableness then with a much faster broadband connection.
N/A

Thanks again Phearfactor, I certainly hope so, otherwise I'll be queuing at the Docs for blood pressure pills.
N/A

lol, dont say that I am to be upgraded in the next few days hopefully.. Your making me nervous now :? :lol:
Community Veteran

A PCI ADSL WAN adapter is not a wireless router, it's an internal PCI ADSL modem.

Martin,

Given it's age, it is possible the divers and hardware are not dealing with the lower SNR that MaxDSL runs at as what you are describing is a classic driver problem in Windows. I would seriously consider getting a more up to date device like an external router which would then mean your PC will not lockup if the connection fails. Also more recent devices can handle both a faster connection and lower SNR much better and thus may result in a much more stable connection than you are getting now.

I would recommend the Netgear DG834 as it can cope with lower SNR levels than many others.
N/A

Thanks for that Peter, I'd checked that the driver was still the latest version but, as the ADSL card was under 2 years old, I hadn't thought it might already be getting out of date. I'll investigate your suggestion. Cheers.
chymorva
Grafter

Given it's age, it is possible the divers and hardware...

Aha! Classic problem: The line is getting wet and reducing the signal level Wink Wink
jagger
Grafter

Good advice above.

What's your protection like Martin?

Anti spyware etc?

Also,do you connect straight to the BT box or do you have extensions?
N/A

Hi jagger - re protection - only average at present, I've Norton Antivirus (but currently looking at replacing), MS Antispyware and Spybot. I'm using Zone Alarm as a firewall. No I am not on the BT master socket but on an extension. I'm considering petervaughan's advice to move to a Netgear DG834 and thought I might get the wireless version so I can run it off the master socket. Is this worth the extra expense do you think? I certainly like the idea of an external hardware firewall as well as being a router, and there's the added bonus of freeing up a precious card slot.
N/A

It should stop after 10 days (maximum I believe). What is actually happening is the line is being tested to find out the Max stable speed.

It might be worth investing in an ADSL Router if you are using a USB modem as these are often much more stable at high speeds etc.

If you are the bright spark round here work this one out then...2864 disconnects in the last 3 days and yes i have a router this doesnt help with the regrade...over the last 7 days I think I must have been disconnected over 6000 times now...over the 10 day period you should have the odd line drop this is so the IPStream Max can find the correct speed for your line, this does not mean that it should drop for hours.

If anyone else is having trouble connecting with the new regrade COMPLAIN or do what I'm doing and move ISP's 'cause Plusnet have gone down hill over the last year, no customer support and the waiting times are stupid.