cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade/Downgrade Broadband account query.

iPaqowner
Grafter

This is probably the wrong forum for this so please excuse, but I reasoned I would get the answer I'm looking for from you knowledgeable people.

I signed up as a new customer to Plusnet last year (Aug 2003) picking the "Broadband Easystart" account @ £24.99 a month which I'm entirely happy with. I picked that account as I, like most people wanted as hassle-free a sign-up as possible and with that account type including the activation fee and hardware it made sense to me.

Here I am now at the end of my first year, having paid for the activation and hardware (which I never used BTW, it's still sitting here in it's box as I bought a Netgear DG824M) over the last year.
My question is.........is there an account I can change to that's cheaper than what I'm paying at the mo......but with exactly the same level of service........speed/contention/newsgroup access etc?, would there be a one-off fee to change etc?

I am extremely happy with what I have but I think I am now paying too much. I followed the "Upgrade" link from the portal, but to be honest I couldn't fathom it, didn't know if what I wanted was an upgrade or downgrade etc or if a fee has to be paid to change, honest.......I'm not thick, does anyone else find it confusing?
Can someone recommend an account type I could change to please?
Thanks, John.
12 REPLIES
N/A

A cheaper product you can move to is the Broadband Home 512 Premier package, though you may also benefit from choosing a cheaper lite package, depending on your needs.

I suggest looking at your usage hisotry, which can be found at the base of the page HERE.

You should pick an inclusive allowance above your average usage. In which case, it would be cheaper per month.

Either way, the move would cost a one off charge of £14.99, which would be recovered within less than a year, because of the cheaper price on premier, and quicker if you only went for a lite package.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Thanks for that info and link to the usage page, I got a shock when I saw my monthly usage.
I think the Broadband Home 512 Premier package may just be what I need.
Can you tell me if it still has the anti-spam and anti-virus features and newsgroup access?
Thanks,
John.
N/A

They indeed have.

They feature exactly the same features as your existing package.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Thanks again,
Will change to that package then.
John
Community Veteran

There is a charge of £14.99 to do so. See ADSL Upgrade Guide. You are currently on a monthly contract product so make sure you pick a broadband home product wity a monthly contract.
astraweb
Dabbler

Shockedops: Sorry to butt in, but is it an upgrade or a download link that you have to click it seem a good idea? Also is it 1GB as standard plus what amount you agree to?
Community Veteran

Sorry to butt in, but is it an upgrade or a download link that you have to click it seem a good idea?

I don't understand what you are saying there?

Also is it 1GB as standard plus what amount you agree to?

The basic products for broadband home 512K and 1Mb come with 1GB of bandwidth included for £14.99. You can choose a product with a higher inclusive bandwidth at a higher cost. This is shown on the products page when you select it.
astraweb
Dabbler

Thanks for answering so quick. I really mean what link do you click on to change, or how do I go forward with this? Slow to understand, sorry.
Community Veteran

Click Connection Settings then upgrade account. Select the package you want - if you want something other than the basic or premier package, click view all options to go to the main product selection page and choose the one you want and click proceed , select no hardware on the next page then select the contract period you want (select monthly if it's £14.99). You should then get a summary page for you to confirm, if it all looks correct click the upgrade button and the upgrade will be submitted to PlusNet.
iPaqowner
Grafter

This was my request to cust services via a "contact us" ticket

>I would like to change from my Broadband Easystart account which I have been on since Aug2003 to your Broadband Home Premier 512K account.
I believe this involves a one-off payment of £14.99 and £21.99 per month.
Can you tell me if I would still get my existing £0.50 discount for referrals? applied to the new account.<

This was their reply
> This is correct and your referal discount still applies and as such i have taken the £14.99 fee and set your account to be changed one day before your next billing date.
Hope this helps.<

Last night I got notification of billing via email
> We write to confirm that we have taken payment for the sum of
£22.49 (including £0.50 discount for referrals)
which represents the period beginning 2004-10-10 payment regarding your
PlusNet Broadband Home Premier 1/2Mb (Monthly Contract, USB Modem) - Original SP account.<

My question.......why is it referred to as "PlusNet Broadband Home Premier 1/2Mb"......... are they referring to speed or bandwidth limits? I would have thought it would have been called "PlusNet Broadband Home Premier 512K" since that's the speed I'm on
And what does the "SP" in "SP account" mean?
BTW the extra £1.00 is for my domain name.
Thanks,
John.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please do not quote a preceding post in its entirety. It serves no purpose.
Community Veteran

The 1/2Mb means half a megabyte or 512K - I believe the internal package name contains 1/2Mb and not 512K thus is always quoted by the CS agents in tickets. I have said many times that using 1/2Mb instead of 512k is very confusing and open to misunderstanding as it could be read as 1 or 2 Mb, as you may have had.

As you have a premier account which has no download limits, it does refer to your ADSL speed.

I can't work out what SP means though.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Thanks, I'm sure somone will tell us Cheesy
John.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed AGAIN. Please stop quoting the preceding post in full.