cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgades?

N/A

Upgades?

Hi,

i've just migrated from pipex to the solo 500 to equivelant plusnet plus service.

I hear plusnet are doing free upgrades on many exchanges to 2mb is this the case and if so when will it happen :?:

thanks

Shak
17 REPLIES
N/A

Done by BT

This is done by BT and you should find plenty of info as to what it is going on, in this forum.

However, not wanting to wait until BT got around upgrading my exchange, I decided to ask PlusNet to upgrade my account to 2MB. The request was made late last night and I was given between 5 to 7 working days to carry out the upgrade.

Early this morning I was already connecting at 2,2MB and I've got to say that I'm really impressed. WELL DONE PlusNet!!!!
N/A

Upgades?

Hi shaka,

Welcome to Plus net and the boards.

if you enter your phone number here you will see the status of your exchange, which dslam you are on and an indication of when your dslam will be upgraded.
N/A

Upgades?

As a new customer, your details may not be available in the exchange checker, however, genral detail about the upgrades due to your exchange will be displayed.
Community Veteran

Upgades?

He may not be on the original list though for the upgrades and I think it would be worth a call to support to find this out.

Either raise a link:Contact us ticket or telephone on the number at the foot of the forum pages.
N/A

Upgades?

Cheers guy's. never thought about that.

Educated as usual. Smiley
N/A

Not sure that link is much use...

Hi shaka,

if you enter your phone number here you will see the status of your exchange, which dslam you are on and an indication of when your dslam will be upgraded.

I'm not sure the upgrade info at that link is of much use - my exchange is listed as upgrading starting in April, it's now June and as yet nothing appears to have happened.
N/A

Upgades?

mchorton.

Does it list multiple DSLAMs for your exchange?

Have you tried your phone number, to see what DSLAM you are on?

Each ADSL is tied to a specific DSLAM.
N/A

Upgades?

Hi Phillip (acarr),

Yes, I typed in my telephone number.

My exchange is Dursley (code SSDSY) and it appears to have just the one DSLM (ID: DFG-ADSL-101), the BT PDF document of 24 Feb (page 11) shows just the one upgrade visit required.

Any ideas, or is it just a matter of biding my time?

The daft thing about all this is, that for many people the actual speed increase will make very little difference to their internet experience - but there is a real irritation when one is told something is going to happen in April and by June there is still nothing changed - I think BT/PNet were maybe a little foolish in publishing that February PDF document.

Mark.
N/A

Upgades?

Nobody was told things would be happening in April.

The PDF and the Usertools site show when upgrades will comence, not when they will be done.
N/A

Upgades?

Just for a moment there, I thought you were going to be helpful.

You're wrong, somebody did say April - BT's February document did (and the Usertools site reitterates it as such) - in the document, the different exchanges are listed under different months and my exchange was (still is) down for April (one visit).

Now I apreciate that BT's best laid plans may not be running to schedule, and were always subject to change - but surely you're not suggesting that BT started upgrading my exchange in April, and that they've been in there all through May and still haven't finished into June. Fact is, they probably haven't visited yet (at least 1~2 months overdue).

As I said - the upgrade itself doesn't really bother me, but I still think it was pretty silly of BT/PNet to publish such information (and it's still there), unless they are planning to stick to it or keep it up to date.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use all of a preceding post as a quote. It serves no purpose.
N/A

Upgades?

I think the upgrade announcement stated from April if we're going to be pedantic about it.

There are some reports of delays BT side in this programme.

As for being helpful. I think you will find from a trawl of forum posts that Phillip is helpful. He has assisted many many customers on these boards for some time and I am sure he will continue to do so.

Getting back to the matter in hand. This is a massive programme which is being undertaken and of course there will be errors and delays. In one case that i am aware of the bulk regrade for one customer got stuck in BT's system. Once identified +Net support moved quickly to get it resolved.

If other issues are identified i am sure they will deal with these in turn.
N/A

Upgades?

Hmm. I know I can be a little harsh at times, but wow, why is always the times I am not it gets bpicked on?

My post was clear and to the point, and factual.

Pedantic is what you want, so pedantic is what you get.

The usertools checker has stated the following since before public. I know this because I wrote it

Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in April 2005

We must stress that this information is a guide only.

Furthermore the dates given for when any DSLAM is upgraded is subject to change.

The PDF files comes with the following two warnings.

Please note, the BT speed upgrade programme only shows scheduled work by BT. It will not display when upgrades will become active, or when changes to your service speeds can be expected.

The information will be updated as and when schedule amendments are made available from BT.

All this information has been published since when the announcement was first made.

Unfortunatly, PlusNet arer at the mercy of BT to get a new set of dates for the upgrades, and they have been pushing BT (I for one have made sure they have been asking).

BT have extended the dates for the last time ISPs can join the upgrade program, so I suspect once this date closes, BT will be in a position to publish a new timetable (as no further customers can join the list and spoil the plans).
LiamM
Grafter

Upgades?

Philip is right.

It has never been stated that upgrades would occur on a certain month. The document you have seen from BT states that dates are a guide and are for commencement of upgrades, the usertools exchange checker says the same, and Plusnet correspondence has always indicated from April also.
LiamM
Grafter

Upgades?

Surely you're not suggesting that BT started upgrading my exchange in April, and that they've been in there all through May and still haven't finished into June. Fact is, they probably haven't visited yet (at least 1~2 months overdue).

And so what if they haven't? The document they provided, and the info on the checker allows them to delay things for as long as they like. There is nothing Plusnet can do about it.

The information was released at the request of thousands of customers who just wanted a rough idea on when things were going to be happening. And that is exactly what it is... a rough idea.