cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unuseable Broadband Speed

N/A

Over the last couple of days my connection has been getting very slow intermitently, with the frequency increasing. It has now got to the point where it is always incredibly slow, if I try to download I get about 30kb/s, but if I try to play a game I get pings of 500+.

I am on the PlusNet 2MB premier package using a D-Link 504T router, and have not changed any connection settings recently.

Any ideas? Sad
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you take a look at the thread directly below this one, I have linked to the BT Speed test. Try that and let us know the results.

Edit. no i didnt. BT Speedtester
N/A

Forgot to mention, tried that and got 400kb/s
Community Veteran

You have to run it serveral time and at different times of the day (morming, afternoon and after mignight - i.e. 1am) to see if it's local exchange contention causing the speed problems.
N/A

You have to run it serveral time and at different times of the day to see if it's local exchange contention causing the speed problems.

And how would this differentiate between exchange contention and PN network congestion /unreliability?
N/A

The BT test does not touch the Plus Net network. If that shows a slow speed then the fault lies with BT.

If however it gives a normal result then it proves that the slowdown is ocurring in the Plus Net network.

It is fairly conclusive.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

This test doesn't go anywhere near the PlusNet network. It is just between you and the exchange. The results are logged so that BT can look at them when a fault is raised.

Phil
N/A

The BT test does not touch the Plus Net network. If that shows a slow speed then the fault lies with BT.

If however it gives a normal result then it proves that the slowdown is ocurring in the Plus Net network.

It is fairly conclusive.

Yes, but how do you tell if it's all one or the other, and not a combination of several factors? If I get a slower BT speed test at 8 in the evening, this is likely to be caused to some extent by greater contention. If I connect to PN at 8 in the evening and get slow transfer and lousy pings, this could be down to greater contention and the PN network peforming poorly under increased load. How do I tell which is the biggest culprit?
Community Veteran

It's a process of elimination.

If all the BT speed tests show the same or nearly the same speeds, no matter what time of day and the speed is close to what you expected for your connection speed, then it's not a BT problem. If you then get a slower speed when connected to PN, then it's likely to be a PN problem and PN can investigate further.

If you get variable speeds on the BT test (or a very slow speed all the time for your connection speed) and these go slower during busy times (like 7pm) but faster during non-busy times (like 1am or 6am) then it is BT exchange contention causing the slowdown. PN may make things worse but the underlying problem is BT and if the speeds are above what BT consider reasonable, there is nothing you can do. If the speeds are lower than deemed accepable by BT, then a fault can be raised to BT to investigate it.

There are many causes of slowdowns... As well as BT and PN, your local equipment, PC or wiring can also contribute to the problem which is also why tests should be carried out from the BT master socket, and ideally from the test socket behind the user removable lower panel which then isolates your house telephone wiring and reduces the list of what could be causing the problem.