cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable max dsl speeds

phyhhe
Grafter

I have had speed problems over the last few weeks with my "up to 8meg" connection. In Connection settings I currently have the cheering result that I have "Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps" Having had a maximum speed registered on Speedtest.net of 4178kbps my connection can obviously support higher speeds but every time I turn my back Plusnet reduce my speed to next to nothing.

I have been with them for a lot of years and have always had good service and connections but am currently looking around to see what is available as I am totally fed up. Obviously loyalty doesn't get any improvement in service, quite the opposite.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

What does that say for your IP profile?

The 500 figure will have come from BT, PN have no control over what BT believe is the best speed for your line.
phyhhe
Grafter

Test result

This is the result of the test you suggested which to my mind shows that my line is capable of more than 500kbps

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6176 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 451 kbps
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Give or take about an hour or so early this morning around 17/03/2007 02:44:26 your connection dropped and the router/modem resync'd at a rate around 576kbps.

Do you know if anything happened around this time that would have caused the connection to drop?

The way that DSLMax works is that if the sync rate decreases then BT will automatically decrease the throughput rate, as you can see in the BT Speedtest result (the IP profile). So long as the line remains sync'd at a higher rate for 3-5 days then the sync speed will automatically increase again, but it's certainly worth looking to see what's caused the disconnections, as looking at the line speed history there was a drop down to 2Mbps last month also in the early hours of the morning. Could there be something that's causing interference overnight?
phyhhe
Grafter

Can you help by suggesting what sort of things might cause this dropping?

PC was not in use and was in hibernation
Normal house phone connected to another socket
Sky box connected to splitter but has always been and has never caused probs before

Any suggestions welcome
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

First thing I would suggest is to take a look at this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything helps. Any incorrect wiring or faulty filters could easily be the cause. Also I'm wondering if the time could be important, there's been 3 or 4 drops of speed in the past month, all overnight, could something be happening at this time, e.g. Skybox phoning home, central heating coming on/off, cat waking up and chewing the cabling, storm or bad weather of some kind, or anything else that could cause some kind of interference.

There's also the stranger things like electric fences, microwave ovens, street/Christmas/security/traffic lights, squirrels (that's a new one to the list) and probably other stuff.
N/A

I had the same problem. In the Plusnet Connection Settings it used to say Your current broadband speed is 1,000kbps. Now it says

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps

If I do I BT speedtest it says

IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1280 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 194 kbps

I'm moving to a new provider so I'm hoping I'll get some help there.
N/A

I had similar problems. MaxDSl is so flakey up to fixed products. I was using a fixed 2Mb connection with a PCI ADSL modem with no problem. Occasionally it would not sync initially but would on a second try.

Swapping to MaxDSL increased connection speed to to 2500kbps but very unstable. Occasionally when I started up the PC the PCI modem would sync at 128kbps - this would leave it almost unusable for 3 days until it recovered.
If you are using a PCI or USB modem and the line drops overnight (quite common) when hibernated then I suspect this might cause you problems.

I switched to a BT Voyager 205 router which gave a steady 2500kbps connection.
Disconnecting the BT ring wire added another 700kbps to the connection speed (not needed when phone is connected via a filter).
Finally a BT Voyager 210 Router is giving me download speeds of 4000kbps.

If you are using a USB or PCI modem - assuming you have a Ethernet port, I would replace it with a good router (£10 of eBay in my case although I had to use some hacked firmware to allow the Voyager 210 to be used on Plusnet). This will also give a speed increase on your PC.
N/A

It's amazing that a different router can make so much difference.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Routers are generally better than USB/PCI modems for a number of reasons but mainly because they are self powered and don't rely on the PC to work. Then between different routers some are better are longer lines than others, chipsets differe between them and they can perhaps operate better with lower noise margins or don't themselves cause any significant noise to be added to the line.

Bit of a crazy analogy time, but have you ever compared the TV picture on a portable between the little aerial that comes with it and the aerial on the roof. Chances are the picture from the roof aerial was a lot better than the portable even though it's the same TV and transmitter. Not quite the same as broadband I know, but you kind of get the idea.

Move it on a step, on your portable aerial how often does the signal break up? Mine does it all the time, imagine if it was a DSLMax connection instead, rather than the pictire breaking up you'd be losing sync and maybe when it resyncs it syncs at a lower rate which in turn cause the BRAS to drop and 3-5 days of low speeds.
phyhhe
Grafter

If you are using a PCI or USB modem and the line drops overnight (quite common) when hibernated then I suspect this might cause you problems.

I'm using a BT Voyager 2100 F1 router, would that still cause problems when hiberated?

Disconnecting the BT ring wire added another 700kbps to the connection speed (not needed when phone is connected via a filter).

What is the BT ring wire?
N/A

Unfortunately my comments do not apply with your hardware.

You can still get faster speeds by disconnecting the ring wire though. See http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html
for details.

Best of luck trying to sort it out.

Richard
phyhhe
Grafter

Three days later and I'm still stuck with 500k max speed Cry
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Looks like there is a delta report showing 2Mb, our system has also updated with this. Try disconnecting/reconnecting and see what speeds your are getting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
phyhhe
Grafter

Ok so I'm now getting 1865kbps on a 2000kbps max setting. But I'm still not happy as the BT speedtester has been showing over 6000 every time I've tried it