cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable ADSL connections

N/A

I just hooked up for broadband with Plus.net last week. Once I had everything set up (MC8000UE-S1/S4 ADSL router plugged into my 100baseT LAN) everything worked fairly well. To begin with I regularly got >50kB/sec download speeds.

However, I always saw ~22% packet loss across the ADSL connection which plagued me a bit - particularly with anything doing handshakes as this effectively created a big latency.

On Thursday I started to see a lot of network downtime. On Friday I saw 4 hours total downtime. On Saturday it went down for good and only just came back up (10:30am Monday).

Can I expect to see this packed loss and downtime regularly?

Cheers,
Jon.
6 REPLIES
N/A

In theory, you should not see this sort of downtime at all.

One of the things you have to remember about ADSL is that your phoneline and the exchange equipment will always be a BT thing.

If your equipment has a failure to sync with the exchange, then the problem resides between your own equipment (mode, filters extentions and cabling), the BT line and the exchange equipment.

The first steps you should take would be to rule out that it isn't an issue on your own equipment. If BT do tests during a callout that determine that ADSL is working OK as far as they can see, they can and do raise abortive visit charges, which are applied direct onto your phone bill.

Some of the better diagnostics you can perform are listed in the troublshotting FAQ in the Tutorial and FAQ forum.
N/A

Damm bt they should be better than this. We should have way better connections
N/A

Yes it should, but in BT's eyes, and quite rightly to be very honest, ADSL is not a faultless technology.

Where you reuqire a connection without fault, or a connection that is bound by a SLG or SLA, then you should be opting for a leased line solution.
N/A

lo,are you getting a sync with the exchange? if not double check your ADSL mode you should be using ITU G.992.1 Annex A(G.dmt),could just be shown as g.dmt.it will be in your adsl config in your router somewhere.the other modes do work but are no where near stable.
N/A

The sync with the exchange appears to be fine some of the time and then disappears, often for hours at a time. It's been down for a total of about 4 hours today. Once at 2:30pm and again just after 6pm.

The modem says it's using G.dmt, yes.

It's up now, so I'm pounding the hell out of the link.

Cheers,
Jon.
N/A

if your router is loosing sync then that is causing your problem,double check all your settings and filters,if you can borrow another modem or router to check your sync with exchange then do so.only have your router connected to your master phone socket with no other phones/answer phones,sky satelite boxes,faxes etc attached,also check your router manufactures website for known issues and updates,if your problem still persists then raise a ticket thru contact us asking for a line test on your adsl,also check out your exchange for known issues, http://cgi.support.plus.com/exchanges/index.php. its all just an elimination process but best to make sure its not at your end first.