cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrealistic expectations?

N/A

Unrealistic expectations?

I've just signed up to the Home Surf service from PlusNet. I received my USB modem starter pack on Tuesday evening and scooted home like a kid on Xmas eve. After having set everything up and succesfully connected I started to get this overwhelming sense of disappointment: sure it was faster than my 56K modem, but not lightning fast. I tried PlusNet's own Speed Checker page as well as the Speed Test on adslguide.org.uk and found that I was getting downstream speeds of anywhere between 150Kbps and 450Kps from minute to minute. I'm getting between 200 and 300 Kbps much more frequently than I'm getting > 400 Kbps.

My (naive newbie) questions are:
Is this normal? Surely I should be getting > 400 Kbps pretty much all the time? The average speed last month according to the ratings on adslguide.org.uk was about 424 Kbps. So how come my average so far is about 275 Kbps? Do I have a configuration problem?

Should the speeds be this variable? I understand about contention rates and the fact that what speeds you get is dependent on what the 49 others are doing at that point in time, but to this degree?

I've tried the BT MTU adjuster thingy and that had the effect of killing the USB modem to the extent that it couldn't connect. My PC isn't the highest spec: Pentium 3 Laptop with 128MB RAM running at 300MHz on Windows 98 but I can't believe that matters too much.

Lastly, how come I end up with a dial-up connection that seems to work in the same way as a narrowband connection. I thought the beauty of ADSL was that it was always on? Is this because I'm using an external USB modem rather than a router?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd appreciate any help as so far PlusNet support aren't being too helpful.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Unrealistic expectations?

If you have just newly installed, and are getting slower than average speeds then you should confirm that your ADSL MTU value is 1458 as this can dramatically improve speeds in some cases.

I believe +Net have a tweaker program that will do this adjustment for you.
Check this page out it has more information plus the tweaker program.

https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=241

Hope this helps Ali
N/A

> Lastly, how come I end up with a dial-up connection that seems to work in the same way as a narrowband connection. I thought the beauty of ADSL was that it was always on? Is this because I'm using an external USB modem rather than a router?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, I'd appreciate any help as so far PlusNet support aren't being too helpful.

Makes no difference what sort of modem/router you use, the connection is always on, but you will have to log on every time you shut your lap top or any other comp off and then back on.

The only way to maintain a prmanent log on is to keep your comp on 24/7. logging on or off makes no difference to the connection.
--
Reset
N/A

If you have an ethernet based external router you can leave it permanently logged on otherwise your kinda stuck with the dial up.

I still cant understand why people buy this USB stuff, ive yet to be convinced by it's stability especially if you have a VIA chipset and the lack of power in some cases requiring the purchasing of a USB hub ive decided to rename it to USelessB .
Its all false ecconomy.

Ali
N/A

Speed is a funny thing it depends who you connect to and what routers your going through. If you connect to someone else with broadband and he is downloading as well speed can be worse than 56k modem.

You get a better idea normal downloading from MS Sites as they are normaly very fast.

Even with a 4 meg lease line things can crawl if the site is very buzy.

> I've just signed up to the Home Surf service from PlusNet. I received my USB modem starter pack on Tuesday evening and scooted home like a kid on Xmas eve. After having set everything up and succesfully connected I started to get this overwhelming sense of disappointment: sure it was faster than my 56K modem, but not lightning fast. I tried PlusNet's own Speed Checker page as well as the Speed Test on adslguide.org.uk and found that I was getting downstream speeds of anywhere between 150Kbps and 450Kps from minute to minute. I'm getting between 200 and 300 Kbps much more frequently than I'm getting > 400 Kbps.
>
> My (naive newbie) questions are:
> Is this normal? Surely I should be getting > 400 Kbps pretty much all the time? The average speed last month according to the ratings on adslguide.org.uk was about 424 Kbps. So how come my average so far is about 275 Kbps? Do I have a configuration problem?
>
> Should the speeds be this variable? I understand about contention rates and the fact that what speeds you get is dependent on what the 49 others are doing at that point in time, but to this degree?
>
> I've tried the BT MTU adjuster thingy and that had the effect of killing the USB modem to the extent that it couldn't connect. My PC isn't the highest spec: Pentium 3 Laptop with 128MB RAM running at 300MHz on Windows 98 but I can't believe that matters too much.
>
> Lastly, how come I end up with a dial-up connection that seems to work in the same way as a narrowband connection. I thought the beauty of ADSL was that it was always on? Is this because I'm using an external USB modem rather than a router?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, I'd appreciate any help as so far PlusNet support aren't being too helpful.