cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited = Limited + Fairuse clause?

N/A

Fair use seems to be redefining unlimited... i.e. actually matching account types with download volumes?

Or is it merely an averaging exercise...

Whats the spin on this one?
72 REPLIES
N/A

Did everyone get an email, or just the people who have been "marked"? I was wondering how long it would take before something like this was rolled out.
N/A

I got an email and I dont use that much b/w. Between 20 and 30gb a month. I imagine they will have sent it to all residential users.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Personally I don't think there is a spin on it. Ironically the whining has been prompted largely as a result of Plus.net being open about what is going on.

Network connections have always been charged for by bandwidth and transfer volume. Domestic and SME customers used to be transfer limited by call charges and larger customers by the relatively high cost of leased line bandwidth. The inexpensive 24/7 nature of an ADSL connection has allowed a small minority to transfer frankly stupid volumes of data, that far exceed any sensible forecast. If the trend is allowed to contiue either the quality of service will suffer as peak time headroom is reduced, or the service cost will have to rise.

This issue is ultimately about a somewhat immature market being educated in the basic economics of network provision. Most of the controversy revolves around the use of the term 'unlimited connection' Well the connection is still unlimited in so far as their are no _time_ limits on the connection. If you think back to the dial up days call time cost was the _limiting_ factor. That is what the market was primarily concerned with and the fact that ADSL marketing focussed on it is perfectly logical. Transfer charges were not mentioned up until now because they were not an issue.

The market has now matured a little, transfer has become an issue and people are going to have to learn some more of the the economic facts of network life. As with most lessons, some will not like what they hear but that does not change the facts being taught. Bandwidth costs, transfer costs and it has to be paid for.

So before getting on a high horse and complaining about the 'principal' - which is what many appear to be doing. Put a little thought into what the alternatives are. Personally I would rather not have to pay for some greedy individual to have my slice of the cake.

If you have ever been out for a meal where the tab is being split on the table and got annoyed with the couple that order five of the most expensive courses on the menu, you should know what I mean. I guess it is those people that are sat at home downloading 24/7 because no one wnats to invite them out :?
pgudge
Grafter

I recommend people to PN for 3 main reasons: uptime is great, support are great, and its unlimited, looks like I can't use that one any more Sad I will give anything a try, so I hope its not going to be too bad. I have done 70GB+ in some months, and this month already up to 53GB so i'm gunna get stung by this for sure.

However I am a not clear on this, if someone can.

I am on 1MB Premier paying £29.99 (ex referrals), so does this mean a Limit of 50GB?

In April, does it mean I will be able to upgrade to (2MB,4MB,8MB) (if available) and still pay £29.99 month and keep my 50GB limit?
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, you will be able to go on the fastest speed your line can support and be limited to 50Gb "fair use" for £29.99 , though "it's not a limit or a cap" etc etc etc.

And if you want to increase the 50Gb, you can pay more as per the table in the email.

The price will relate solely to how much you use, not how fast your line is.
Alecto
Grafter

And remember uploading and overnight use are excluded from the figures - they're effectively free of charge.
N/A

I would like to congratulate PN on what seems to be a mature and sensible approach to what essentially is resource management.

I think I'm a fairly regular type of user. I like to surf and email, and from time to time I download large files ! :-) However I don't do this constantly, and it comes in fits and starts, my average usage is about 15GB/month.

I would love to take advantage of the speed increases offered, and think the "fair useage" limits and in particular the way it is going to be implemented (with 2 "strikes" before being penalised) is quite generous, and allows for occasional times when you need/want to download a lot, while preventing those who do it constantly. Those people are perfectly entitled to do that, but need to realise it costs!!

Just my 0.02 worth.
N/A

you guys seem to be forgetting that 1am-8am isnt included in the download limits so thats potentially 6 gig a day you can take off your download totals.

or 230GB per month in total for £21.99 plusnet users... you get 2 warnings before you suffer any consequences anyway.

BTOpenworld cap at 30GB full stop.

look around before you start complaining!

Fact is all adsl isp's are in the same situation and will all be introducing cap's im sure. I suspect if you suddenly switch isp now to one that isnt, you'll just find they announce the caps next month.
pgudge
Grafter

Yes, you will be able to go on the fastest speed your line can support and be limited to 50Gb "fair use" for £29.99 , though "it's not a limit or a cap" etc etc etc.

And if you want to increase the 50Gb, you can pay more as per the table in the email.

The price will relate solely to how much you use, not how fast your line is.

So come April the products available will be:

£21.99 30GB 230GB
£29.99 50GB 250GB
£39.99 75GB 275GB
£49.99 100GB 300GB
£59.99 125GB 325GB

No matter what Speed you select, so someone on 512kb will pay the same as someone on 8mb if on the £29.99 service?

And how can people say "this is no capped" "this is not capping", it is capping. If you go over the limit 3 months in a row, you are capped or forced to pay more. I dont agree with it becuase I'm a user not getting a unlimited service, HOWEVER I can totaly understand why PN is doing it. Its a clever approach, and I hope it does not loose them any custom.

I may be forced to jump to the £39.99 75GB limit if and only if I can get 2mb.
N/A

EDIT: didnt consider my self a "Heavy" user, just checked my bandwidth usage for (the first time) and find my average for the last couple of months to be 50ish, not goods news afterall

.. if our line supports 6Mb-8Mb .. can Plus net support it?
Alecto
Grafter

[so someone on 512kb will pay the same as someone on 8mb if on the £29.99 service?
quote]

Yes they will and they will both be allowed to download the same amount of data. It's a postcode lottery as to what speed you can actually get.
pgudge
Grafter

Excellent, thanks for that, its much clearer now.

So how will they control what account you can have. Where I am now, I have been allowed the 1mb service but not the 2mb due to distance and line noise. I can happily download at 120kb / 130kb from some servers, so I presume I will probably be ok with the 2mb service. Can you just request what service you want?

For example, I upgrade to 8mb and I can only get about ~4mb will they fail the upgrade and knock me down to a suitable service or just leave it on the 8mb? Or will it be a case of they just disable the speed cap and you get whatever speed you can?
Alecto
Grafter

I don't think they've sorted out the mechanics of it yet.

As I see it, they should simply test each line and set it up to the maximum that it can reliably support (whatever reliably means, of course!).

They said they'd be asking you what speed you want, so this assumes they'll tell you first what your line can do. So why everyone doesn't just want the fastest I don't know. May be that if your line is iffy for 4Mb but good for 2Mb, they'll let you choose.
But then if you go for the 4 and it's crap, you'll change to the 2 anyway.

And since the only charge is for capacity used not speed, you've nothing to lose.
Unless they come in with the good old £14.99 to change your speed once you've chosen it! But I hope not.
pgudge
Grafter

I read that they will charge you to down grade to a lower speed.