cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown number on phone bill

N/A

Unknown number on phone bill

Does anyone know what number the ADSL modem connects on please?

We had to go back to BT to recieve bradband & +.net, & have just recieved our first phone bill. I have listed on it 23 seperate calls to 0208 230 0070 on 4/5 September for a total of 4.41 hours at a cost in excess of £5.

I checked the number out & got a "fax" tone sound, we do not have a fax machine! Acording to BT this number was rung 23 times between 10.30pm & 10am the following morning.

I have been known to sit up using the internet into the wee small hours bit never for 12 hours at a time! & I certainly would give up well before I tried to dial in 23 times.

The dates coincide with the day we went live on ADSL, but I did not sit up all that night nor did anyone else here.

I just can't think of any explanation.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Unknown number on phone bill

>Strange one that ! Even stranger is when I look at my tel number to connect to ADSL the area code is greyed out and the tel number is 0000000 (7 zeros).

Phone Plusnet would be my suggestion if this don't work.

The 0000000 was the tel number that the installation disc set up.

Hope this helps but best phone p'net.

regards
Steve
N/A

> The 56k connection is on a 0845 number as one might expect but the ADSL connection tel number is listed as "N/A". See below : stuff copied from "my connection"
-------------------------------------------
Connection settings for manual connection
Always on broadband xDSL
Phone Number N/A
Login name monabri@plus.net
Password ********
Authentication Method CHAP
Server type PPP
IP Address Server assigned
Local Rate Dialup
Phone Number 0845 1400101
Login name monabri
Password ********
Authentication Method PAP or CHAP
Server type PPP
IP Address Server assigned
Other settings for manual connection
Primary DNS Server 212.159.11.150
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.150
POP3 (incoming mail) Server mail.plus.net
POP3 login name monabri
POP3 password ********
SMTP (outgoing mail) Server relay.plus.net
Your email address anythingyoulike@monabri.plus.com
News Server usenet.
N/A

> Does anyone know what number the ADSL modem connects on please?
>

ADSL doesn't dial a number to connect, it just uses the telephone line to transmit a signal back to the exchange. I would hassle BT a bit more to try and find out what the number is, have you tried dialling the number from a modem using Hyperterminal to see if any disclaimer is shown (usually showing the company name) ?

Ian
N/A

> Does anyone know what number the ADSL modem connects on please?
>
> We had to go back to BT to recieve bradband & +.net, & have just recieved our first phone bill. I have listed on it 23 seperate calls to 0208 230 0070 on 4/5 September for a total of 4.41 hours at a cost in excess of £5.
>
> I checked the number out & got a "fax" tone sound, we do not have a fax machine! Acording to BT this number was rung 23 times between 10.30pm & 10am the following morning.
>
> I have been known to sit up using the internet into the wee small hours bit never for 12 hours at a time! & I certainly would give up well before I tried to dial in 23 times.
>
> The dates coincide with the day we went live on ADSL, but I did not sit up all that night nor did anyone else here.
>
> I just can't think of any explanation.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you leave your computer on over night? You may have one of those nasty dailup programs.

The number is probably not a fax machine but a modem. Now youve got ADSL make sure you unplug your old modem so this can't possible happen again.

Another slim possiblity is to check your phone wires outside. Have they been spliced? You may have had a visitor using your phoneline by tapping in. Unlikely but !!