cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get > 2mb

N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

I have had an 8mb connection for months but every time I check the actual throughput speed does not exceed 2mb.

IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7520 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1857 kbps

Tried at various times, rebooted router (Netgear DG834GT) changed firmware, tried MTU etc.
Changed to pay as you go a few days ago, but no change to speed.
Any suggestions?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Unable to get > 2mb

Hi

Could you tell us what this link tells you?

stable_rate
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

2000kbps
Community Veteran

Unable to get > 2mb

Thanks.

James Bailey is on the boards and will prob' pick up on this for you.
James
Grafter

Unable to get > 2mb

Done Smiley

You'll need to reboot your modem/router and then you should see an uplift in speeds.
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

Rebooted and get ....
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7392 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4227 kbps

It seems the same problem as a few other people have had. How often does the profile get updated, or is it just set once.

Thanks for your quick attention, I assume 4227kbps is about standard especially since my phone line connection is still carried on above ground wires!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Unable to get > 2mb

It looks like when your account was upgraded to the MAX service the internal system hadn't upgraded. This has been corrected and hopefully you should get the benefits of MAX dsl in the future.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

The same thing has happened to me, I had a fault on my line and connection dropped from 3500 to <2000, I have a stable rate of 2000. Is this the same problem as the original poster above and if so can you work the magic on my line to get the higher speeds back

TIA
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unable to get > 2mb

@sargray

Yours is a different issue, it appears BT have set your line profile to 2Mb due to a poor sync with the exchange.
Your router or modem should give you some line stats which will identify what speed you are now syncing at, if this is higher than 2Mb then the profile will increase after 3 days.

If you are not sure about how to gather your line stats then Kitz Site is pretty good.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unable to get > 2mb

You need to run http://speedtester.bt.com/ to find out what IP Profile speed BT have given you. You can then check if Plusnet have set an appropriate stable rate on the portal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

That BT thing never works for me for some reason, I am now syncing at 2688
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unable to get > 2mb

You won't see a higher speed than 2Mb syncing at that speed. You need to be syncing at 2848kbps to get a profile of 2.5Mb, the following page has a handy table on it.

Link
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

hi i have the same problem with not getting more than

2000kbps
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unable to get > 2mb

@discodave

Can you run http://speedtester.bt.com/ and post back the results please
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Unable to get > 2mb

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01248722003 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1873 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 212.159.118.81, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdes