cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get ADSL on my line ... :-(

N/A

Just had a BT engineer at the house who's confirmed, after much testing / checking / swapping lines / etc, that my line (or rather my house) is too far from the exchange to get ADSL ... Cry

The house is about 8 ( :shock: ) miles from the exchange, so I knew it was a bit touch and go, but it's still a downer that I can't get it.

I really can't go back to dialup, as even getting to type this in is driving me mad as it's so slow ... urgh !!

What are my options ?
Are BT (in the *near* future) planning anything that might come to my rescue ?
Any other thoughts ?

I've read that there are different tolerence levels between IPStream and Datastream ... would a different choice of ISP make any difference ? Or have I hit a physical barrier (i.e. the line length) on my line ?

Thanks
9 REPLIES
N/A

if you find you can't get ADSL - do you have a Sky dish - if so you would be able to get satellite broadband -

before my exchange was enabled I used to use www.cpsat.co.uk - it's not cheap and not a real subsitite to an always on ADSL but it worked ok for me for a couple of years when it was the only alternative
N/A

Or you can look at this one from skyDSL.
N/A

Hi,

Have you tried cable Broadband? NTL or Telewest?
N/A

Have you tried cable Broadband? NTL or Telewest?

Neither are available in my area (YO17 6RJ), and (I presume) will never get to us.
FireStorm
Grafter

I gave this a great deal of thought when i thought i couldnt get broadband (my exchange want enabled)

IF you can get enough people interested then maybe offer a wireless service to you area. You could get an E1 to manap or telehouse. I work for a large telco and i know the prices are not cheap. As fairly senior employee the costs to me were.

£3.5k per year for a 2mb E1
£200 x 2 g703 to x21 convertor
£1000 x 2 cisco router with wic1t to ethernet
£Huh interconnect/Peer charges to ISP (gave up at this stage)

As you can see its not really financially viable. I agree with the other posts, Sat seems to be your only choice.
N/A

As you can see its not really financially viable.

Hmmm ... bit pricey for me :shock:

As an aside, my "unable to connect you" has been passed on to BT HLC (High Level Complaints) who are supposed to investigate the problem further and, after 2 weeks, decide if they (BT) will try and do anything else. They may well just say it's a no-go, and I'll just get the ADSL disconnected from my line.

If I *do* get disconnected, I've heard that the 250k package from Zen Internet is based on a true 250k service (not just a throttled 512k service), and, hence, has a further reach. I've no idea if this will help me, but it's worth a try.

Fingers crossed.
N/A

don't bt offer some kind of isdn thing still? i remember talking to somebody who couldn't get broadband and were offered something that was basically two dial-up lines running in paralleltill allowed voice calls to and from one of the lines (although it meant that the service dropped to half-speed on those occasions).
N/A

don't bt offer some kind of isdn thing still?

Yup .. it's BT Midband. £36 per month and £75 installation. :shock:

It would probably be cheaper for me (as I've an existing Sky dish) to get a second phone line and use a one-way satellite package. I'll have to do some sums ...
N/A

Quick update ...

Having read a few other forums about "too far for ADSL", I read that the choice of router can make a big difference.

So, on a hunch and a few recommendations, I went down to the local Comet and bought a Linksys WAG54G, plugged it in and, hey presto, we're up and running !!

My SNR is now 6db, which is just on the limit, but good enough for me Cheesy