cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect up through a router.

rodjer14
Dabbler

I have Apple Mac iMac and iBook computers running OSX Tiger 10.4.7 and want to access PlusNet from anywhere in the house via WiFi through my Broadband connection. I have purchased a Netgear DG834GT router and connected it to the DSL line through the usual filter supplied by PlusNet. Whilst I have no problems connecting to PlusNet via the Voyager 105 I don’t seem to be able to connect via the Netgear router even though the computers are located next to the router.

The computer appears to connect to the router as it shows a router address of 198.168.0.1 In the DNS Servers box I have put 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50, which are the numbers given by PlusNet in my “Connection Settings”. With all this done I don’t seem to be able to connect to PlusNet. Do I need to put anything into the DHCP Client ID box? What else do I have to do to connect up to PlusNet?

I have the same problem in trying to connect with the Ethernet cable. The computer picks up the router but not PlusNet.

I need someone who understands Apple Macs and Netgear to help me.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you connected to the router and set up your connection so the router is connecting to plus net ok?

Assuming you have done that and the ip of the router is 198.168.0.1 then your mac should pick up the dhcp and let you connect. If not you need to set the mac to 198.168.0.2 and set the default gateway to 198.168.0.1 with the dns being set to the router as well. Each mac takes the next ip but the default gateway dns is the same.

Dont enter any dns into the router let it get it from plus net so if it changes it will stil work.
The only other things that will stop you connecting is if you have encription set on the router in any form ie wep. Turn that off and then try and see if it works.
If it still doesnt work we need mre details of your ip etc
rodjer14
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. My computer is connected to the router with an ethernet cable and also has a WiFi connection through the Airport card. The router is connected to my BT line via a microfilter. However, it does not pick up the DHCP. I have set up the Mac to 198.168.0.2 as you suggested. I have deleted the DNS as you suggested but it is quite clear that the router is not connecting up to the internet.

I am not sure what you mean by an "encription set on the router" and if it is set, I would not know how to turn it off.

Before I got your reply I posted the same message to the "Help & Support", but 24 hours later I have had no response.
Neil_Bullet
Dabbler

Hi,
Forget about getting your wireless working until the PC connected via Ethernet is running correctly.

First make sure your network settings on your PC are set to Obtain ip address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically.

Next Can you view your routers setup pages in IE.
To do this load up internet Explorer and enter the default ip address for the router into the address bar in IE. I think the routers ip should be 198.168.0.1, however if that does not appear to work check the manual.

Once you can access the routers web based setup then we can help you setup your router to access the internet.
N/A

Hi,
Forget about getting your wireless working until the PC connected via Ethernet is running correctly.

First make sure your network settings on your PC are set to Obtain ip address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically.

Next Can you view your routers setup pages in IE.
To do this load up internet Explorer and enter the default ip address for the router into the address bar in IE. I think the routers ip should be 198.168.0.1, however if that does not appear to work check the manual.

Once you can access the routers web based setup then we can help you setup your router to access the internet.

Have you sorted it out yet? I am on mac with the netgear, it was new to me too. You have to go to system preferences/network, choose TCP/IP, configure using DHCP put 192.168.02 in DNS servers, in ethernet configure automatically, but you must use a browser to put your username and password to connect, then you can just change from ethernet to airport to connect, and disconnect your cable. Let me know how you go on.
rodjer14
Dabbler

Thank you gentlemen for your assitance. I have been away for a few days and had another go today with complete success. I can now connect both through the ethernet cable and wifi.
N/A

Glad to hear it, you'll find the Netgear a brilliant piece of gear.