cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect. Someone please help

N/A

My line was activated yesterday and i've not been able to connect at all.
I had problems last night, which after hours spent, i find the extension cable running upstairs to my room, wires had snapped, meaning no dial tone upstairs. Easily fixed, surely broadband awaits? NO.

See, i just can't connect. When i click dial, i INSTANTLY get an error message.

Error 651. The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error

is the message i get. Though at one point, i got it to say something like opening port before it gave me that message. 99% of the time, it just goes straight to that message when i click dial.

Clicking contrl panel i get the process of this (in this order - though Exchange doesn't always show up)

Channel Analysis
Exchange
Attempting to Activate Line
Training

I have the PCI Modem. After a bit of looking around i can find only 1 problem...

i follow the installation guide step by step, and when it says go to "Control Panel" and alt+c for advanced settings. Under "Line Setup" there's...
ADSL Head End : Alcatel Network Systems Inc.

Now everything under the "Line Setup" & "Protocol Setup" is just as the guide tells me, EXCEPT for what i have just put up in bold italics. The default setting seems to be "Texas Instruments", and each time i go to change that to the Alcatel Setting, as soon as i click apply or ok, it immediately changes it back to Texas Instruments. In other words, it just wont let me select and keep the setting that the installation guide tells me i need.

Everything else seems to be ok apart from that. There is nothign wrong with the line as my 56k works on it & i've got the e-mail saying broadband is activated.

My computer meets all the minimum requirements easily & i am running Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 and i have the PCI Modem

I really don't want to have to cancel the contract. So far the PlusNet team have been very helpful with the problems i've encountered up to this point, which is more than i can say for my previous ISPs.
Though, i do have a funny feeling that even if this setting would stay as the guide instructs, that i still wouldn't be able to connect.

I have the splitter installed into the main connection point correctly. Everything is running through that so i don't think that is faulty

Rambled on enough now. I would really appreciate anyones help. Thanks.

Incase any of the PlusNet staff check this...
Ticket No. : [ 15215113 ]
38 REPLIES
N/A

Did the PCI modem come with the PC, or did you instal it? What is the make/model?
N/A

No it didn't come with the PC

it is part of the starter pack from PlusNet. I installed it myself, as, although my knowledge is extremely limited when it comes to broadband, i knew i could install a PCI modem correctly.

checking the .pdf document on the CD it says this...

A220 ADSL PCI Modem

Version V01-BNT-UK-E2

(August 25, 2003)
N/A

i've noticed another difference with my setup. I have never seen this on PlusNet before. I was always told the splitter needs to be put in the main connection point.
I had my modem lead running out of my modem into the connection point upstairs. But the diagram in the .pdf document shows the modem line coming out and also a line running from the splitter to the telephone port on the modem.

This would be pretty impossible/hard as the splitter is all the way downstairs. I was told that so long as the splitter is downstairs in the main connection point, it is ok. And the installation guide on paper that came, doesn't say anything different to that either.
When the modem came there was a plastic connection end in the telephone port connection on the modem. I figured so long as a modem wire ran from the modem to the connection point upstairs, and a splitter was installed downstairs, then it would be fine?

I really hope i haven't lost you here. i'll try sort out a screenshot.
N/A

I see you are getting 'training' on the modem. This means it is seeing the exchange, and is trying to sync with it. So, as you say, it's the PC configuration that is not right.

I can only suggest you await PlusNet to help you, as I am not familiar with this procedure.
N/A

The modem shouldn't be filtered, it should be connected to the ADSL socket on the filter.

See if this makes it clear: http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/tutorial.html
N/A

i took this screenshot to explain my setup

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=99049

but really, right now, there is just a microfilter connected downstairs. my broadband modem is connected to the extension line which runs through the microfilter.

I have also had a microfilter fitted upstairs with the modem connecting straight into it. And this still doesn't work

i have not connected a phone direct into the modem as, the connection ends wont fit the modem.

EDIT : i apologise for my poor explinations. I'm not too good at explaining my setup, as i've only just begun to become familiar with terms such as filters, splitters etc.

I saw your link and the diagram that looks closest to my setup is the following...

http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/microfilter4.gif

my setup looks pretty much just like that, but minus the middle one in the diagram. Ignore the fax part in the diagram, and that is how i've tried to explain -mine is setup like that.
N/A

Is the extension socket upstairs connected to the main socket downstairs directly, that is, inside the downstairs socket? Or is it plugged in to the downstairs socket?
N/A

it is plugged into the downstairs socket.(main socket).

You have the downstairs socket, the next thing that is plugged in is the microfilter.....then a double adapter. 1 of these points is for a telephone, the other is for an extension cable which runs upstairs. This extension cable allows me to have internet upstairs.

Are you saying i only need a microfilter downstairs, or i need one in the extension cable upstairs also? Or just upstairs?

At present i only have 1 microfilter downstairs. HOWEVER, i have had them in both downstairs & upstairs & i still get the problem that i created this thread for.
N/A

Getting close! In the main socket downstairs, take everything out. Then plug in the extension to upstairs. In the upstairs socket, plug in a filter and connect the modem to the ADSL outlet.
N/A

well that is a possibility, but, then that totally wipes out telephones downstairs. It would mean we would have no phone downstairs

& also, it doesn't solve the problem of the Texas Instruemnts / Alcatel Network Systems Inc that i have.

I can't just run an extension cable direct up. The phone needs to be plugged in & i was given the impression that a telephone needs to be plugged in to the microfilter, be it directly, or, through an adapter which is then into the microfilter?

EDIT : it would however, mean that there could be a telephone upstairs, but, as i live at home with my parents, unfortunately i can't just tell them that this is the way it's got to be.
N/A

I only suggest you try that to see if it gets the broadband going.

If it does, plug the double adaptor into the downstairs socket. Plug the upstairs extension into one outlet, and a filter into the other. Plug your phone into the filter.
N/A

thanks for the help so far. The reason i am hesitant, is, if i do it how you said, and broadband works, but then i connect it up how you said in your last post and it doesn't, then PlusNet will see that i have been able to connect to broadband, and maybe i wont get a refund.

At present, i am unable to connect broadband, so i am hoping that if it persists like this, then i will be allowed a refund. Of course, this is a last resort as i would prefer to have working broadband.
N/A

If it works as I suggest, then it works. If we have to then re-wire your house, I can do that!
Denzil
Grafter

My experience for what's its worth.
I couldn't connect at all on the end of an extension. I use a router connected to the network port on a laptop, and I could only make it work by having a filter plugged into the main socket, then the router plugged in to the filter, then a long network cable going upstairs to the computer. I live quite a long way from the exchange, so it may be a signal strength issue.
Of course you can't do this with a PCI modem. Can you take the PC downstairs temporarily and connect straight to the filter there?

Denzil