cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to browse but still see router- any ideas?

N/A

Hi all,

I notice my connection timing out intermittently, seems to happen more after a bit of downloading like goggle video or bigger downloads. I’m not sure but I thought that my router was on its way out. I keep having to restart my router when this happens. Interestingly I can still acess my router more often than not when I am unable to browse. Just been looking on router and found the following results,

SNR Margin 15.2 dB – Downstream 14.0dB – Upstream

Line Attenuation 22.3 –Down 12.5- Up

Errored Seconds 49 - Down 35-Up

Loss of Signal 1 1

Loss of Frame 0 0

CRC Errors 71 – Down 40 – Up

Data Rate 8064 – Down 640- Up

Both Down and Up Interleaved as default

All these results were taken after the router had been on for 40 mins. The downstream SNR margin fluctuates between 12.5 and 15.3 (usually around 14).

My router is a Connexant Hasbani(oldy but a workhorse). Originally when I signed up with plusnet (approx 18 months ago) there were times when I would be getting 8Mg downstream according to software like DU Meter. However I now only seem to get 6.5Mg or 7 if it’s a good day. SNR margin looks high (previous ISP Tiscali not sure LLU )

Thanks for taking the time,

Al
7 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

In your router set up see if you can find the "keep alive" setting and make sure its enabled keeping it at the default 30 seconds and see if it makes a difference to your timeouts, make sure you save settings and exit

Also 6.5 to 7MB is a good speed some around here cant manage anywhere near that so i wouldnt worry about that

Bill.
savvy
Dabbler

Me too

I recognise these symptoms. I've been suffering in exactly the same way. I can access my router with no problem. The connection works fine until I do some heavyweight usage, or simply leave it on all day. I then begin to experience many time outs, then eventually no http at all.

I can still access my router's pages at this time. Also I can still send and receive email. A reboot of the router clears the problem for a while.

If I find an explanation I'll post again.
savvy
Dabbler

I've been experimenting with this some more (My connection already began to fail again). This time I simply got the router to disconnect the ADSL connection and then reconnect. As with a reboot the web is now working fine again.

Al - does disconnecting and then restoring your ADSL connection also enable your web access again?
N/A

yes it does .. i have to turn it off and on again. I unplugged it last night all night and am now seeing how its going to perform today. I haven’t tried sending mail or receive any mail ..but since i use yahoo mail i am unable to get to it so i can try. Before it cuts out it tends to slow down and transfer in bursts of data. I was thinking of switching to a backup froggy (alcatel USB speed touch)to see if the same issue happens again but cant seem to find it now ! For now I’ve double checked the router settings and changed authentication from auto to CHAP.

PS Bill I cant seem to find ‘keep alive’ but found Disconnect Timeout currently set to 0
N/A

Do you get Event ID 4226 in the event log as this would account for the errors you are getting?

You can get a fix from
http://www.lvllord.de/?url=downloads〈=en

Xp SP2 only allows a few tcip connections for security reasons and once its exceeded it basically kills the connections so you cant get anymore. So if you reach the limit you cant start any new connections rebooting the router kills all connections and so solves the problem.
psk10
Grafter

Hi ,This may sound stupid but have tried repairing your ip address, as this did happen to me ,i also ticked a setting to use Windows to configure my wireless network settings and the problem did not occure again.just a thought may help.
N/A

I got a new router and all sorted.

Interesting while I was waiting for the router to turn up I switched to a USB modem. I started off with the CD that came with the modem v2.0 connected at 7.2 speedtest 4.1mg
Version 3.14 connected at 8.1mg speedtest 4.5mg
Downloaded the latest software 4.01 … blue screened my pc

Once I got the router up and running I was back to my usual speed of 7.22mg max download. Clearly going thru a router does affect your download speeds and I would recommend that people try switching to routers to see if this does increase the speed. I lost 2 mg of speed going thru the USB

All this is pointless as I am suffering from peak time speeds of 120kbps and on the BB+ service. Interestingly I am not a light user of the service as is suggested in other post to people on the service and off peak speeds tend to return to normal.

Thanx for all the help guys

Al