Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access internet on one computer

N/A

Hi guys,

This is the problem I am having:

There are 4 computers in my house, all connected via a wireless network to one router, which has a plusnet connection to the internet.

This morning I was unable to access the internet on one of these computers. However I am still able to connect to the home network. This to me makes no sense. All the other computers are able to access the internet without any problems.

The way I understand it is this -
For me to connect to, for example, google, there are two stages.

First my computer must connect to the router.
Then the router must connect to google.

If either of these steps has a problem, the computer wont be able to access the internet.

But neither of those steps appear to be broken. The computer in question can still connect to the network, share files and printers, send and receive net send messages etc, it is most definitely connected to the router fine.
And on all the other computers, the internet works fine too, nothing appears to be going wrong, yet still that particular computer is unable to access any part of the internet.

This has me completely stumped. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Joe
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi there.

Could you run ipconfig /all on one of the working machines and the one causing grief and post up the results?

ipconfig tutorial Here just in case you dont know Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Also has the PC in question had a firewall update recently?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The pc that is having problems usually just runs Windows firewall, however I have tried turning this off and on, with the same results.

This is the output from ipconfig /all on my computer, which is working fine:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : joespc

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-49-DD-52-5D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 May 2007 18:22:04

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 May 2007 06:22:04

And here is the same command run on the computer having the problems:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Karen

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-5B-BA-16-4D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.50

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 May 2007 15:02:33

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 May 2007 03:02:33

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-62-94-AB

The broken computer "karen" must be connected to the network, as I just went to it and used "ipconfig /all > \\joespc\shareddocs\broken.txt" and sure enough the text file popped up in my shared area.

However I have tried everything I can think of to get the problematic pc to be able to access the internet, but to no avail.

Thanks again for your help so far,

Joe
Community Veteran

Hi Joe.

The only difference from that which I can see is DNS.

The non working PC appears to have our dns servers hard coded, whilst the working system is using the routers dns settings.

Try and let the router handle dns as opposed to manually assigned and see if that cures it.
N/A

Thanks for your suggestion. You got any ideas on how to do that? :p

I don't usually use windows, I am a Linux kind of guy, so my windows skills are low to say the least.

Also, I'm not sure if it is a DNS problem, for two reasons:
Firstly, this only started happening this morning, previously it has worked fine for over a year.
Secondly, I have tried pinging IP addresses of websites, and it just times out, I get exactly the same results from ping google.com as I do from ping 64.233.187.99.

Thankyou for your help and suggestions though.

Joe
Community Veteran

That kinda rules out DNS as being the problem then.

What error message are you getting from the browser when you try to connect?

Have you scanned for malware / hijackers / spyware using tools like spybot S&D or Adaware SE (Both free and good)?
holdtight
Grafter

Try going to control panel - network connections right click on your connection and select properties then highlight internet protocol (TCP/IP) then properties just under the box and make sure "obtain DNS server automatically" is selected then ok out of everthing

Not sure but you may need to reboot after its done then try again

Not sure if this is your problem but DNS is the only difference i can see in you ipconfig too

If this doesnt work you could try it the other way round and manually setup each machines IP and DNS settings that would certainly rule out DNS issues for sure
Community Veteran

Tried resetting the router or even reinstalling the firmware?
(What's the router by the way?)
Here's some obscure thoughts if none of the suggestions others made above work out:
Have you changed any router config? Had any power outs? Added or removed any network nodes or changed the NIC in the machine that's got the problem?
I've had this problem with a router that supports strict IP-to-MAC DHCP binding and bars internet access if it isn't a permitted MAC/IP combination
kryten1st
Grafter

System restore

Just a quick suggestion, have you tried system restore to restore it back to a date when you were having no problems. I find system restore usually fails but sometimes it can work well and solve a multitude of problems Cheesy
N/A

Can you do a tracert www.plus.net and post the results. Ie open a cmd prompt and type tracert www.plus.net

also try tracert 194.119.131.66

What is the router and have you got MAC address filtering set on?

Have you tried to reconnect to the router with the wireless utility?

When you do a ping is there any strange characters in the reply?

Try from the cmd prompt typing

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Reboot the pc and try again

Also check your host file which is here

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

and called host

It can be used by malware to send you off to a wrong site if in doubt copy it to somewhere else and delete it as this could be the problem
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Try disabling the DHCP server you have active on the faulty PC. You'll nearly always find that 2 of those on the same network screws things over.

Okr
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have, I think, narrowed this down to be a hardware problem of sorts.

I took the wireless usb adapter from one of the working PCs, and plugged it into the faulty PC.

I was then able to connect to the network through that adapter and access the internet as usual.

The faulty PC has an internal wireless card, of type "NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter".
It has worked fine previously, but now has the problems I have described above: able to connect to the network but unable to access the internet.

The current solution of using another PC's usb adapter is not ideal, as it leaves another of the PC's without internet access.
I would also much prefer to not buy a new wireless usb adapter if this is a problem with the PC's internal card that can be fixed.

Does anyone have this wireless card? Or has experienced similar problems with a piece of hardware?

Thanks,

Joe
N/A

Have you tried uninstalling the card (including drivers and associated programs) and then downloading latest drivers from Netgear website and re-installing the card?

Is the card running the most up to date firmware?

I'd have said it was most likely a DNS, DHCP and/or gateway issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I'd have said it was most likely a DNS, DHCP and/or gateway issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It must be. You CAN access windows network file shares etc from a network device without having the internet working. One of my machines had the wrong gateway IP for a few weeks (switched to using router instead of ICS PC) and that was still able to share files etc etc.
That to me says that the network device is fine and not broken - The thread starter has stated that they can access other computers on the network but not the internet.
It does sound like something might be stuffed with dhcp or the driver might have a fault. Look into the dhcp issue and if that really doesn't fix it uninstall and then reinstall the driver.
@bestpals: Do you have a VNC server installed? - I can try to help you fix it remotely if you have.

If you don't have a VNC server/client you can download a free version which I can help you to install - Note that you might need to setup port forwarding on your router for the server to work though...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!