cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Secure Sites

N/A

I know this may be old hat now, but I was having diffoculty logging onto PayPal (and other secure servers) through my ADSL

I tried everything. Disabling firewall, reinstalling Windows (!) You name it I tried it. Then....

I had forgotten to check my Cipher Stength (via Help > About Internet Explorer) and saw it was only 56 bit rather that 128 bit. The point here is if you're having issues with secure servers (which inckudes Hotmail, MSN Messenger etc) then check the cipher strength first before messing around!!

Chris
4 REPLIES
Pamjmorris
Grafter

I have had the same trouble but i,m not to clever on the tech side could you explain what you did in simple terms Pam
N/A

The latest versions of Internet Explorer are 128bit encryption. You just need to make sure you have the latest version installed (you should do this from a security aspect anyway).
Latest Service pack for IE6 is here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displa...

You may also need to install Sun Java, as some sites use true Sun Java and not MS Java.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
Pamjmorris
Grafter

Hi apparently i had a newer version of of these dowloads but thanks anyway
N/A

It is possible to have a slightly newer version of IE6, by using automatic updates (MS wait until there are a few updates before adding it to the full download)
However, there is no such auto update for Sun Java, so you cannot have a later version that 1.4.2_02.
Anyway, sounds as if you are up to date.
Viewing some aspects of secure sites, can be hampered by the security settings you have in the options for Internet Explorer. They should really be left at default values.