cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB vs Ethernet Modems/Routers

N/A

USB vs Ethernet Modems/Routers

What is the difference (in operation/performance etc) between USB Modems and Ethernet Routers? If so, is the difference marginal or does it justify the additional cost?

Am I also right in thinking that the only purpose of a Router is to share ADSL to multiple PCs whereas a modem is obviously just for the PC it is
connected to?

Are there any other advantages to having a Router?

TIA
Andy
5 REPLIES
beskar
Grafter

RE: USB vs Ethernet Modems/Routers

Okay, I'm a newbie to this too, so bear that in mind... see my post to the previous user by the way.

All an ADSL modem can do is pass the data on to one PC.

ADSL Routers (which interestingly seems to mean 2 things: either a) a Router, which needs an ADSL Modem , or b) a Router/ADSL Modem combined) can do a number of things:

- primarily, to allow 2+ computers to share the ADSL bandwidth
- use NAT to hide a 2+ computers behind a private address, thereby making them more secure from public intrusion (e.g. your IP address of 212.159.111.222 is translated to e.g. 192.168.16.5, 192.168.16.6)
- have built-in firewall, to monitor/prevent further fiddling from outside
- if you don't have a static (fixed) ip address, some routers can team up with free IP services to allow your network to behave as though you do have a static address

(Someone else can add the more advance bits!)

HTH
N/A

> What is the difference (in operation/performance etc) between USB Modems and Ethernet Routers? If so, is the difference marginal or does it justify the additional cost?

Good Evening,

USB does use quite a lot of computing cycles, you are better with a PCI card if you have an older system. You will find that unless you know what you are doing a router will be harder to setup for port forwarded services.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

Hi

I am also new to the world of broadband having just joined yourselves and waiting for the green light.

Following your advice I haven't bought any equipment yet, but I am a little unsure as what type of equipment to get.

The most popular choice seems to be external USB modems. Now I run an external modem at the moment (serial port, not USB) because it doesn't create any lag on the processor compared to my old internal PCI one. As I understand it because of the way USB works this situation may not be the same as using an external serial modem - i.e. it can cause the machine to slow somewhat.

I have also seen PCI modems available, cheaper than USB modems. Are these better or worse than the USB ones?

Also, I have a PCI ethernet card already installed in my machine and wondered if that could be brought into play at all?

I don't have much cash to play with at the moment, so any comments on the price of individual items would be appreciated.

Also, if it isn't asking too much Wink, I'd like to hear any personal recommendations on the best types of ADSL modem. I hear that the Fujitsu modems are quite good, any others?
N/A

Hi,

The biggest impact I have found is in a small network wanting to share an ADSL connection - using a USB device it is a simple case of enabling Internet Sharing on that connection, whereas with an ADSL Ethernet Modem it has required additional software - something like Wingate or Sygate. Internet sharing is free but inflexible, whereas Wingate & Sygate cost.

For ease of setup and ease of sharing the USB method wins out.

Hope this helps.

rgds,

Alex
> Hi
>
> I am also new to the world of broadband having just joined yourselves and waiting for the green light.
>
> Following your advice I haven't bought any equipment yet, but I am a little unsure as what type of equipment to get.
>
> The most popular choice seems to be external USB modems. Now I run an external modem at the moment (serial port, not USB) because it doesn't create any lag on the processor compared to my old internal PCI one. As I understand it because of the way USB works this situation may not be the same as using an external serial modem - i.e. it can cause the machine to slow somewhat.
>
> I have also seen PCI modems available, cheaper than USB modems. Are these better or worse than the USB ones?
>
> Also, I have a PCI ethernet card already installed in my machine and wondered if that could be brought into play at all?
>
> I don't have much cash to play with at the moment, so any comments on the price of individual items would be appreciated.
>
> Also, if it isn't asking too much Wink, I'd like to hear any personal recommendations on the best types of ADSL modem. I hear that the Fujitsu modems are quite good, any others?

N/A

Okay, but the issue for me is not sharing.

I just want to be able to use my connection and other power hungry applications without any lag.

What is less likely to cause lag, USB or PCI, bearing in mind it is a 500mhz PIII machine with WinXP and Win2000 Pro running on it?