cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB versions

N/A

USB versions

Does anybody have any views on this:

Up until now, I was using the built-in USB ports on my PC for my ADSL modem. The PC is 5 years old now and I assume USB ports are 1.1.

I have now installed a PCI to USB 2.0 card to use some additional equipment. Works very well, but I am wondering whether connecting the modem to the new and faster USB ports would have any appreciable effect on my Internet connection.

Reason I am asking before I try it is that I have a stable system at the moment which I really do not want to disturb. My 1Mb ADSL connection performs quite well anyway (>950 - 960 kbps with PlusNet speed test), so the whole issue is not a major concern.

If it is assumed that I should be using the new USB port, presumably Windows would detect new hardware - which installation route would I have to go through in this case?

Wolf
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

USB versions

You will see no difference because the current modem is a USB1.1 device and if you plug it into a USB2 port, all that happens is it runs an USB1.1 speeds - i.e. no different to what you have now.

Using a USB2 port will not gain you any additional speed if that is what you were hoping for.

Now if you were getting frequent disconnections that looked like it was cause by USB power issues, plugging it into a USB2 port would help. If your not I suggest you leave it as it is.

And yes, windows will detect the modem automatically if plugged into a different USB port.
N/A

USB versions

thank you very much for clarifying the situation. Much appreciated!

Wolf