cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB v PCI Modem

N/A

USB v PCI Modem

I'm waiting to have my ADSL activated and have ordered a USB modem in my starter pack but am wondering if I should try to get it changed for the PCI version.

What do you think?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: USB v PCI Modem

NO, NO and NO.

When i first signed up for ADSL with Plusnet i went for the PCI modem option as i thought it would save space. However when the modem came it didnt work and i lost two weeks of my connection. I eventually just went out and bought an USB modem and sent the PCI one back to Plusnet. Im just getting my refund the now.

The PCI modem seems to be having all the problems so i think you would be better to get the USB version.

Hope this helps

Dave Allan
N/A

I usually believe Internal is better when compared to External USB devices such as modems, Zip Drives, CD Writers.

I suppose now with USB's bandwidth, unless the drivers are bad theres no reason to not get a USB version (and it's nice if it's also USB host powered).
N/A

> I'm waiting to have my ADSL activated and have ordered a USB modem in my starter pack but am wondering if I should try to get it changed for the PCI version.
>
> What do you think?

I have had loads of problems with the USB modem (Starter pack)and I'm in the process of returning it. I have just bought an eTEC ADSL internal modem £35.25 which comes with the Conextant AccessRunner software. Excellent quality and value. No more problems!

Community Veteran

> > I'm waiting to have my ADSL activated and have ordered a USB modem in my starter pack but am wondering if I should try to get it changed for the PCI version.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I have had loads of problems with the USB modem (Starter pack)and I'm in the process of returning it. I have just bought an eTEC ADSL internal modem £35.25 which comes with the Conextant AccessRunner software. Excellent quality and value. No more problems!
>
>
I started on ADSL back in March and started with a USB modem. Had no problems at all with it.
Changed now to a router (D-Link)because I wanted to network and get access for all my PC's which was not possible with the USB modem that I had.

John

N/A

the router may be the best bet if you have a network card. Why?
It does a NAT translation so the router has the external ip and your local pc has its own ip. This means if someone attacks you they only get the router. With a modem your pc is live on the net and it is easy for hackers to get into your pc.

Once setup there is nothing else to do, if your pc crashes there is no setup to do exept the gateway.

You can add more pcs as required.

It doesnt take up any slots
> I'm waiting to have my ADSL activated and have ordered a USB modem in my starter pack but am wondering if I should try to get it changed for the PCI version.
>
> What do you think?