cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to Ethernet

N/A

USB to Ethernet

I've been having real issues with my connection. It's fine for days and then all of a sudden it decides to go into auto-redial mode, the line drops every couple of minutes and the service is just unusable.

I've got a router I want to deploy and was just going to use my main PC as a gateway and connect the router via a network card from the main machine, leaving the ADSL connection via the Plusnet USB Binatone modem. I'm now wondering whether it would make more sense to buy an Ethernet Modem and connect the ADSL to this and then into the router, meaning I should have an always on connection (if I can work out how to configure the router to hold the connection info)...

My question is... is it worth it ?... are my connection problem likely to be USB related (symptoms are the green line light just goes off and then blinks back into life) and hence solved by an ethernet solution ?

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received..
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

USB to Ethernet

Is it worth it?

Yes!

An ADSL router will solve all your problems. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

USB to Ethernet

An ADSL router will solve all your problems

Not sure I explained myself properly... don't have an ADSL Router... what I have is an ethernet broadband router with wireless, it's a DLINK 614+. I used this when I was on cable and it was great. I wanted to use it again with ADSL but I need to present it with an ethernet connection hence my idea about buying an ADSL Ethernet modem (I'm looking at the DLink 300G+)... I'm a little worried abouyt how I connect to the service once I have the 2 devices though. At present I click a dial up from my PC and it goes via the modem to establish a connection, cable was always on so there wasn't any dial-up involved... if I go for separate modem and router how do I get the router to pass the user name and password to the modem ?
N/A

USB to Ethernet

An ADSL router will solve all your problems

if I go for separate modem and router how do I get the router to pass the user name and password to the modem ?

It would be the other way round eglons, you would call
up the default IP address of the modem in your browser
and set up all your detalis there, you would first configure
the modem and then connect the router, the modem will pass
on all the info to the router they are set up to auto configure
together.
You'll get a set up manual with the modem and also you can
get more details from D-link Uk web site aswell.
http://www.dlink.co.uk/
N/A

USB to Ethernet

if I go for separate modem and router how do I get the router to pass the user name and password to the modem ?

Routers these days provide a way to logon to a setup utility, usually via a web interface, that allows you to setup connection settings and to auto connect on demand... then you get your PC to use the router as the default gateway whenever you want to connect to the internet.

That way, you simply have to have your PC connected via ethernet ports on the router and whenever you go on the internet the router auto connects for you, or dial up as you would say.