cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB modem syncs OK......but router won't??

toby1
Grafter

Hi,

I currently use a Binatone ADSL 500 modem (as supplied by Plusnet), without any problems. When I connect, the modem usually takes about 15 seconds to sync.
However a few days ago I bought a Billion Bipac 5102S router (as supplied by solwise) and have found that it will not sync on my line at all.
After speaking with Solwise technical Dept, they could only suggest that the router must be faulty as they usually sync easier than USB modems. So I returned the router to Solwise who yesterday phoned me to tell me they could find no fault with it, and it synced on their line without any problem.

Plusnet customer support have told me that there can't be a problem with my line as the Binatone modem syncs OK.

Can anyone suggest what I can do next?

Many Thanks
Tony
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can you "Borrow" a router from a friend to try on your line and see if that sync's Ok?
Normally you plug them in and they just work :?
chymorva
Grafter

Could possibly be that your signal is right at the limit for synchronisation. Different modems/routers have different sensitivities so maybe the modem is just OK but the router is just not !

I take it that you entered the correct settings on the router ? ( PPPoA, VC-Mux, VPI =0, VCI=38 )
N/A

Have you disconected the modem when trying the router.
Try the router into the master bt socket and see if it syncs there.
toby1
Grafter

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies on this topic.
I've now acquired a netgear DG834 router, and it syncs with no problems at all. Cheesy
The line stats it shows are:-

Attenuation 21db down 9.5db up
Noise Margin 31db down 25db up

My understanding (bit of a newbie to all this) is that these stats are OK, so I really don't understand why the Billion router from Solwise wouldn't sync at all. :?

I'd be grateful for any further insights on this.

Thanks
Community Veteran

With the line stats you have which are fine for up to at least 2Mb and above then I can only think that the "Billions" router is faulty.

This would seem to be born out by the fact that both your modem and a new router work ok.
N/A

I have just purchased a Billion 5102 and it keeps dropping the signal. I have another modem installed and it works fine. The probelm is that I had to use ANSI T1 to get my other modem to work. As of yet I cannot find a way to change the settings from G.DMT which is what the router automatically configures too. Looks like mine maybe going back as well unless I can manually configure it to ANSI T1.

Dave :?: