cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Starter Pack

Saltire
Dabbler

USB Starter Pack

Has anyone any help or experiences with the USB Starter Pack?

When I install the Dynamode A360 drivers and connect the modem when requested, all seems to go well - the 1st light on the modem lights up and the 3rd light flashes - until the PC re-boots. As soon as Windows restarts I get an error box displayed saying 'Device not present'. The icon in the System Tray displays the message 'ADSL Device Not Available'. The USB 2 light is flashing continuously and the System Tray icon is black. The manual doesn't even say what the USB 2 light flashing signifies.

The A360 (Native ATM Mode) device in system Properties under Network Adapters displays a Code 10 message 'The device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed'.

The ADSL Control Panel states 'ADSL link disconnected' and 'ADSL modem not available'.

The modem is never listed under modems and a 'Connect to wip tech' icon has never been installed.

I've unistalled and re-installed the drivers many times, checked that the USB ports are working with a printer and mouse, changed the USB cable, changed the modem cable, tried different splitter and no splitter, connected the modem directly to the phone line with no telephone connected, cleaned the Registry of previous driver entries with Norton Windoctor, uninstalled the network adapters, downloaded the latest drivers - but nothing helps.

Strangely, when changing cables with the drivers installed something seems to have happened a couple of times. The Tray icon has showed 2205kb data being either received or transmitted - what or where to I don't know. Then on another attempt the message 'Waiting for ADSL initalization'. I left this for two hours but nothing happened. As soon as I reboot the PC it's always back to the black icon in the System Tray.

I thought this would be a 20 minute job and now I've been trying for over 24 hours and can't think of anything else to try.

Does this modem actually work?
8 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

RE: USB Starter Pack

> Has anyone any help or experiences with the USB Starter Pack?
>
> When I install the Dynamode A360 drivers and connect the modem when requested, all seems to go well - the 1st light on the modem lights up and the 3rd light flashes - until the PC re-boots. As soon as Windows restarts I get an error box displayed saying 'Device not present'. The icon in the System Tray displays the message 'ADSL Device Not Available'. The USB 2 light is flashing continuously and the System Tray icon is black. The manual doesn't even say what the USB 2 light flashing signifies.

>
> The A360 (Native ATM Mode) device in system Properties under Network Adapters displays a Code 10 message 'The device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed'.
>
> The ADSL Control Panel states 'ADSL link disconnected' and 'ADSL modem not available'.
>
> The modem is never listed under modems and a 'Connect to wip tech' icon has never been installed.
>
> I've unistalled and re-installed the drivers many times, checked that the USB ports are working with a printer and mouse, changed the USB cable, changed the modem cable, tried different splitter and no splitter, connected the modem directly to the phone line with no telephone connected, cleaned the Registry of previous driver entries with Norton Windoctor, uninstalled the network adapters, downloaded the latest drivers - but nothing helps.
>
> Strangely, when changing cables with the drivers installed something seems to have happened a couple of times. The Tray icon has showed 2205kb data being either received or transmitted - what or where to I don't know. Then on another attempt the message 'Waiting for ADSL initalization'. I left this for two hours but nothing happened. As soon as I reboot the PC it's always back to the black icon in the System Tray.
>
> I thought this would be a 20 minute job and now I've been trying for over 24 hours and can't think of anything else to try.
>
> Does this modem actually work?

just a thought but did you disable any anti-virus programs whilst installing the software as this sometime has a bad effect

Roll eyes

Saltire
Dabbler

>
> just a thought but did you disable any anti-virus programs whilst installing the software as this sometime has a bad effect
>
> Roll eyes
>
>

Thanks for your advice.

I've just tried again with Norton Antivirus and all other software in memory disabled, but no luck.

The drivers install but the modem isn't recognised.
N/A

What hardware / operating system have you got?
Saltire
Dabbler

> What hardware / operating system have you got?

I'm running Windows 98se on a Pentium 233mmx with 128MB RAM, SCSI & UDMA100 Raids.
N/A

mY USB 2 light only flashes when it is uploading the firmware during boot. I have had problems when soft rebooting my system, the usb modem fails to appear unless i power off then back on again

R

Ps. have heard that older USBs do not have enough power to maintain a usb device (500ma)
N/A

Stuart,

Firstly forget the Splitters & Filters that Plusnet sent out - they don't work. I was lucky in that mine totally & obviously didn't work (my only problem was that they kept telling that it did, in the face of the facts). I solved the problem by buying a new Splitter (£10). Now they seem to have acknowledged the fault & are sending out replacement splitters - it's up to you whether you wait!

> I'm running Windows 98se on a Pentium 233mmx with 128MB RAM, SCSI & UDMA100 Raids.>

I know that this comment isn't logical, & also doesn't fit the symptoms that you describe, but I think you don't have a powerful enough PC. I was trying to connect with PII 233 & PII 266, both with more memory than you. I had problems. I upgraded to a P4 & the problems stopped (although Plus fixed a bug in their network at the same time).

I just wonder if it's the PII, it sounds like you know what you are doing, are doing all the sensible things etc. For me the installation just "went", even on the PII. I had problems, but only because I had no experience of ADSL, didn't know what I was doing. The modem installed under PnP, the DUN was there.

Good luck mate.
Saltire
Dabbler

> Stuart,
>
> Firstly forget the Splitters & Filters that Plusnet sent out - they don't work. I was lucky in that mine totally & obviously didn't work (my only problem was that they kept telling that it did, in the face of the facts). I solved the problem by buying a new Splitter (£10). Now they seem to have acknowledged the fault & are sending out replacement splitters - it's up to you whether you wait!
>
> > I'm running Windows 98se on a Pentium 233mmx with 128MB RAM, SCSI & UDMA100 Raids.>
>
> I know that this comment isn't logical, & also doesn't fit the symptoms that you describe, but I think you don't have a powerful enough PC. I was trying to connect with PII 233 & PII 266, both with more memory than you. I had problems. I upgraded to a P4 & the problems stopped (although Plus fixed a bug in their network at the same time).
>
> I just wonder if it's the PII, it sounds like you know what you are doing, are doing all the sensible things etc. For me the installation just "went", even on the PII. I had problems, but only because I had no experience of ADSL, didn't know what I was doing. The modem installed under PnP, the DUN was there.
>
> Good luck mate.
>

Just got connected yesterday.

After trying everything, it was down to disabling my config.sys file. It looks like either himem.sys, emm386.exe or setver.exe was causing the problem. As soon as I disabled these, everything installed and connected fine.

Just as well I didn't have to rely on help from Plusnet, as I'm still waititng for a response.

The ticket system sounds a good idea in practice, but if they're just ignored it falls apart a bit.
N/A

The ticket system is definitely stopping them supporting customers - no doubt.

Glad u fixed the problem - sounds like you are a genius, stick around I may need you!