cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Port Problem

N/A

USB Port Problem

The mobo on my PC -a PC Chips 810- has two USB ports back and front .
On the back ones I have a BB modem and a CF Card reader .If I remove the card reader ( or anything else ) to either of the front ones I get a message
"1 of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it.
Please click this message for help"
When I do click the message another window shows up with the following
" USB Root Hub ( 3 ports)
unused port
unused device
unused port
Try reconnecting the device . If Windows does not recognise it replace the device."
The device does ,of course,work-That is confirmed as it works on the rear usb ports . The light on it also lights when connecting to the front ones as well. . Anyone any ideas . ?
Stuart
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: USB Port Problem

> The mobo on my PC -a PC Chips 810- has two USB ports back and front .
> On the back ones I have a BB modem and a CF Card reader .If I remove the card reader ( or anything else ) to either of the front ones I get a message
> "1 of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it.
> Please click this message for help"
> When I do click the message another window shows up with the following
> " USB Root Hub ( 3 ports)
> unused port
> unused device
> unused port
> Try reconnecting the device . If Windows does not recognise it replace the device."
> The device does ,of course,work-That is confirmed as it works on the rear usb ports . The light on it also lights when connecting to the front ones as well. . Anyone any ideas . ?
> Stuart

Stuart,

When I set up my new pc, i got front usb ports and had to plug them into the mobo (4 connectors, 1 wire per connector for each usb port) if yours is like this, you should check that the wires are connected the right way round. The rear usb's are hard wired to the mobo though ?.

Bill

N/A

RE: USB Port Problem

>
> When I set up my new pc, i got front usb ports and had to plug them into the mobo (4 connectors, 1 wire per connector for each usb port) if yours is like this, you should check that the wires are connected the right way round. The rear usb's are hard wired to the mobo though ?.
>
> Bill
>
>

Thanks Bill
That is exactly what the problem was - eight separate connectors for the two usb ports and one pair were the wrong way round so thats it sorted -thanks
Stuart