cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Port Powerdown

N/A

USB Port Powerdown

I have an old p200 which I wanted to use as a proxy server. I have software for this which works nicely. However, after a period of time (10 minutes or less) the USB port seems to power off. My Dynamode A360 modem is connected to a self powered belkin USB hub, which I assumed would address any power supply problems from the USB port being to weak.

Any ideas? The Motherboard is a Micronics Twister with a USB card installed (the board is pre USB obviously).

Cheers

Craig
7 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: USB Port Powerdown

Got any other USB devices that might be using the available USB power?
N/A

> Got any other USB devices that might be using the available USB power?

Nope, that is the only USB device I have connected to the hub.

Cheers!

N/A

> > Got any other USB devices that might be using the available USB power?
>
> Nope, that is the only USB device I have connected to the hub.
>
> Cheers!
>
>

What is the PC running?

It may not be the USB powering down automaticly, but a powerdown from the APM system.
N/A

I'm running winxp pro on it, with all the power options in display properties set to never shut anything off... and I would have thought that as long as there was data passing along then power managements shouldn't shut it off anyway should it? I don't know exactly how power management works.

Cheers

Craig

Brickinit
Grafter

> I have an old p200 which I wanted to use as a proxy server. I have software for this which works nicely. However, after a period of time (10 minutes or less) the USB port seems to power off. My Dynamode A360 modem is connected to a self powered belkin USB hub, which I assumed would address any power supply problems from the USB port being to weak.
>
> Any ideas? The Motherboard is a Micronics Twister with a USB card installed (the board is pre USB obviously).
>
> Cheers
>
hi craig
i too put my a360 modem through a powered usb hub and whilst it ran ok for a while it eventually blow it up, so i now run the a360 straight of the usb port and not the hub. incidently it also blew my usb mouse at the same time.
hope this helps

malc

> Craig

N/A

> > I have an old p200 which I wanted to use as a proxy server. I have software for this which works nicely. However, after a period of time (10 minutes or less) the USB port seems to power off. My Dynamode A360 modem is connected to a self powered belkin USB hub, which I assumed would address any power supply problems from the USB port being to weak.
> >
> > Any ideas? The Motherboard is a Micronics Twister with a USB card installed (the board is pre USB obviously).
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> hi craig
> i too put my a360 modem through a powered usb hub and whilst it ran ok for a while it eventually blow it up, so i now run the a360 straight of the usb port and not the hub. incidently it also blew my usb mouse at the same time.
> hope this helps
>
> malc
>
> > Craig
>
> You need to check in the device manager under control panel and go through the USB ports there is a setting to stop the PC from powering them down under the properties page also I have 756/751 Mobo and get similair problems, the built in USB ports are naff and can only cope with my Mouse and thats it even with a self powered hub I ended up fitting a USB2.0 PCI card and everythings been fine since

Cheers
Jim

N/A

> > > I have an old p200 which I wanted to use as a proxy server. I have software for this which works nicely. However, after a period of time (10 minutes or less) the USB port seems to power off. My Dynamode A360 modem is connected to a self powered belkin USB hub, which I assumed would address any power supply problems from the USB port being to weak.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? The Motherboard is a Micronics Twister with a USB card installed (the board is pre USB obviously).
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > hi craig
> > i too put my a360 modem through a powered usb hub and whilst it ran ok for a while it eventually blow it up, so i now run the a360 straight of the usb port and not the hub. incidently it also blew my usb mouse at the same time.
> > hope this helps
> >
> > malc
> >
> > > Craig
> >
> > You need to check in the device manager under control panel and go through the USB ports there is a setting to stop the PC from powering them down under the properties page also I have 756/751 Mobo and get similair problems, the built in USB ports are naff and can only cope with my Mouse and thats it even with a self powered hub I ended up fitting a USB2.0 PCI card and everythings been fine since
>
> Cheers
> Jim
>
>

Craig,

Jim could be right on checking the power properties. I'm running XP and a VIA chipset, and on the SSB ports in Device Manager there is an option to allow XP to turn of the USB device to save power, and is ticked by default. Worth checking that...

Gareth