cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Modem - Duff ?

N/A

USB Modem - Duff ?

I received my USB modem from Plusnet last week. Is it possibly duff ? Anyone else had this ?
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: USB Modem - Duff ?

> I received my USB modem from Plusnet last week. Is it possibly duff ? Anyone else had this ?

Whats the problem Huh

JIm
N/A

> > I received my USB modem from Plusnet last week. Is it possibly duff ? Anyone else had this ?
>
> Whats the problem Huh
>
> JIm

I've checked everything regarding the installation of the modem , changed splitters, moved computer to another telephone access point, gone through setup with plusnet staff (Rob & Saeed), had the line synch checked. I'm running XP and after installation I check that the modem is ok and recognised (it is) - so its really a last resort as it about the only thing I can't check.

N/A

> > > I received my USB modem from Plusnet last week. Is it possibly duff ? Anyone else had this ?
> >
> > Whats the problem Huh
> >
> > JIm
>
> I've checked everything regarding the installation of the modem , changed splitters, moved computer to another telephone access point, gone through setup with plusnet staff (Rob & Saeed), had the line synch checked. I'm running XP and after installation I check that the modem is ok and recognised (it is) - so its really a last resort as it about the only thing I can't check.
>
>
> I had some funny problems with XP where my Zoom USB modem would not log on to plusnet although everything was showing that the connection was ok This was after upgrading the drivers. I had to use system restore to go back to a state before I had installed the modem checked that my Bios and all my Video and various other drivers were up to date including the motherboard drivers and processor drivers and re-intalled the modem hey presto it worked so its worth a try if nothing else.

JIm

N/A

>Thanks for the reply Jim. I've ticketed the problem with Plusnet to see if they come up with anything - they are re-checking the synch on my telephone line. My PC is~6 months old so I hoped that the drivers would be ok. The only thing that I have noticed is that the Conexant brand USB modem isn;t 'digitally signed' for XP (However, Plusnet says that this ain't a problem). I'll persevere for a bit longer. Oh, the 'rewind' XP facility is VERY useful (especially after the boys from P'net tell you to delete all existing internet connections and 5 mins later then tell you to go on line using the 56k modem connection .......)
Steve
>

N/A

> >Thanks for the reply Jim. I've ticketed the problem with Plusnet to see if they come up with anything - they are re-checking the synch on my telephone line. My PC is~6 months old so I hoped that the drivers would be ok. The only thing that I have noticed is that the Conexant brand USB modem isn;t 'digitally signed' for XP (However, Plusnet says that this ain't a problem). I'll persevere for a bit longer. Oh, the 'rewind' XP facility is VERY useful (especially after the boys from P'net tell you to delete all existing internet connections and 5 mins later then tell you to go on line using the 56k modem connection .......)
> Steve
> >
I had exactly this - plusnet had BT check the sync and they found a fault. BT fixed that and ADSL came on fine, though they unfortunately messed up my phone line so I had no dial tone for a day, but that was no fault of plusnet. I had ADSL 1 day after reporting the problem to plusnet

N/A

Thanks for the reply Julian. I suspect that it's either the modem (unlikely) or the BT line (more likely). I don't think it is Plusnet fault - they are doing their best. The line has been checked for synch once already and reported as ok. I reported it again last night but it might take another 48 to 72 hrs to sort out. (I ordered ADSL on the 16th August and am still not up and running.)
Steve

ps I've done all the usual checks on line & protocol setups and changed splitters and moved to another phone socket and unplugged the phone before trying to connect.

N/A

> Thanks for the reply Julian. I suspect that it's either the modem (unlikely) or the BT line (more likely). I don't think it is Plusnet fault - they are doing their best. The line has been checked for synch once already and reported as ok. I reported it again last night but it might take another 48 to 72 hrs to sort out. (I ordered ADSL on the 16th August and am still not up and running.)
> Steve
>
> ps I've done all the usual checks on line & protocol setups and changed splitters and moved to another phone socket and unplugged the phone before trying to conne
>hi do you know anyone else who has got dsl,if so ask them to try either your computer on there line or theirs on yours i tried this with a mates to get his up and running,bear in mind you will have to change user and passwords to connect to your isp but it is a good way of checking out equipment faults and or line faults cheers stevie

--