cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Robotics Modem and XP

N/A

US Robotics Modem and XP

I've been running Broadband via a US Robotics Modem on Windows 98 FE. I've now got a new computer with XP and wish to connect the modem. The instructions do not include XP so I'm assuming that the CD does not have drivers for XP. Perhaps Support can answer me this but does XP carry the driver? If so which one do I need. Any help would be appreciated as I'm no computer techie!
6 REPLIES
rikmoncur
Grafter

RE: US Robotics Modem and XP

I use a US Robotics with XP and it's ok. There's info on their website www.usr.com

N/A

> I use a US Robotics with XP and it's ok. There's info on their website www.usr.com
>
> Thanks. I've been on their website and can't find any downloadable drivers for my USR8500 so I've sent an email to their support and am awaiting a reply.

N/A

try installing the original drivers u hav as i have a us robotics modem and it didnt say aything bout windows xp but i gav it a whirl and it wkd fine
N/A

> try installing the original drivers u hav as i have a us robotics modem and it didnt say aything bout windows xp but i gav it a whirl and it wkd fine
>
Thanks for your reply Andy.

As I've not yet heard from US Robotics I tried installing the driver from the CD I used when setting up with 98 but when I got the notice about the driver not being compatible with XP and continuing could damage files on the system I chickened out and aborted. However, I've since noted from the instructions for Windows 2000 and Me suggest that if 'A digital signature not found screen appears' to click 'Yes'and windows will verify that the modem is properly installed so I may give it another go.

rikmoncur
Grafter

Yup - that's right, you get the warning that your computer will explode, your legs will drop off and your fridge will defrost etc but the instructions that come with the modem say that it's ok. They don't have an XP version so I think you just follow the instructions for 2000. Look in your Robotics folder - there should be some html pages of instructions.
N/A

Rik and Andy

Got a message from US Robotics that Windows XP is not a supported OS for my modem but decided to install it anyway. After having to click continue several times it eventually installed and appears to be working okay - for now anyway.

Thanks for your help