cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKOnline - The grass isn't always greener!!!

N/A

About 2 weeks ago I deserted Plusnet to go over to UKOnline's new 8Mb Broadband service.

Initially all went well. The change over happened without fuss, and on the day promised, and I was enjoying 8Mb Broadband. But then, last Monday, I lost my connection.

I spent 45 minutes holding for Technical Support and eventually a call was raised. I enquired as to how long it would take and she said there was 'a bit of a backlog at the moment and probably a few days'. She did give me a free rate number for 56K dialup though .......WOW!

Wednesday evening I tried again and after 35 minutes was told that nothing had happened to the call and to 'call back in a couple of days if the line wasn't up'. Tonight after another 20 minute wait I was told that yet again no update on the call and that calls were 'dealt with in the priority of receipt and there are other calls that have been waiting longer'. I told him what I thought of their service and he advised there was no SLA for fault fixing. I said I wanted a MAC code and he advised that I'd need to speak with Customer Services Monday and they would tell me if I could leave the contract without penalty.

So, they have no SLA or committment to provide me with a service and yet they can penalise me if I decide to leave them before the contract is up. How the hell is that fair?

I raised a ticket with Plusnet tonight, to see if they can assist, and was disgusted to see their average response time was 4 hours! Wink

So the moral peeps is that there may be better offers for cheaper, quicker Broadband but you get what you pay for and I can't wait to come back into the fold.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You might be able to pull the Distance Selling Regulations on them if not breach of contract they have not taken due care and attention rubbish to provide your service!
N/A

Their terms state:

You are entitled to cancel the Service within ten days of signing up to receive the Service (including weekends). This is a cooling-off period. If you wish to cancel the Service within the cooling-off period you may do so by calling our Customer Services team. If you decide to cancel within the 10-day cooling-off period a full refund of all Charges paid will be made.

I signed up on the 18th May. However, the service didn't go live until the 1st June!
N/A

Cooling Off Period, Ivan

Hi,

Sounds like you still have a solid case to me?, if you have any doubtes at all on this issue contact your local branch of Trading Standards they will definately clarify any legal issues. And be able to tell you what you should be entitled to receive or not as the case my be. Good Luck with that and do come back and let us know how you get on, I'm sure other users will be most interested in your experience.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Thanks Ivan. I will keep you updated.

For information, Neil in Plusnet's Customer Services has picked up my ticket already. What a turn around and this certainly puts UKOnline's service to shame. Seems like I do need to get a MAC code or disconnect from them, 5 days, and then reconnect to Plusnet, 5 days, and pay an activation fee.

Mind you, at this rate it looks like a 10 day wait will still be quicker than waiting for UKOnline to fix, or even attempt to fix, my connection.

It appears that they have tried to run without learning first how to walk. They have rolled out their 8Mb service without the Customer Support facilities to back up the service.

Anyone fancy a round of online 56k Doom!! :roll:
N/A

Suprise Suprise Suprise!! 8MB's Humm.

Hello,

Why am I NOT suprised bye this?I have suspected this ALL along from UKOnline. It all sounded too good to be true and so now we know why!!
:lol: :lol:
It appears that they have tried to run without learning first how to walk. They have rolled out their 8Mb service without the Customer Support facilities to back up the service.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

sadly it seams a lot of people have been going through this, but at least you had the connection. Theres one poor guy I know who was on 2mbit migrated to them and has been on 1mbit ever since, they consistantly blame BT for their mistakes (like provisioning an account with the wrong domain on the DSLAM and taking 2 months to fix it even though both the customer and BT repeatedly told them what the issue was) the list goes on.

My advice to anyone thinking of going to them is ether dont, or if you do make sure your exchange is UKO ready (they love getting people on board before they can even offer 8mbit), make a note of who you speak to, and record your phone calls to them (very effective for sales as they promis the world sometimes).
N/A

I am glad i stook we plus.net. I have had know problems what so eva with these. Thats for the the tip on ukonline i wiil warn others
N/A

It is now 15 days since I last had a Broadband connection with UKOnline and the saga continues.

I sent them a mail and requested cancellation of the service stating that they had failed to provide the service they were contracted to provide, I would not be tied to a 12 month contract and I wanted out.

Last week, on the 13th, they confirmed cancellation and refunded all fees, (that was good and a bit surprising to be honest!).

This week Plusnet tried to activate my Broadband but were unable to due to an active Broadband connection from guess who!! :?

I contacted their UKOnline's account dept Tuesday to be advised that 'I will speak with the Provisioning Team and call you back later'. No call received. I called again this morning and eventually had a message left for me this afternoon stating that they hadn't heard back from Provisioning and would chase.

Plusnet are due to try again tomorrow ..........don't waste your time lads!!

UKOnline continue to confirm that they are inept, unprofessional, not ready for 8Mb rollout, have extremely poor Customer Service and don't give a **** about their customers.

I have sent another e-mail this evening stating that if the line is not deactivated by Monday at the latest I will go to Trading Standards, Internet Magazines and all net forums that I can find to shout about their service or extreme lack of.
N/A

"History:
23/06/2005 09:26 by rryatt:
Status changed to Closed
Hi Neil

Your line is now clear as the cease have been confirmed and gone through this morning. It does take 5 working days for this to happen that is why you you have not been able to connect with your new ISP.

Regards

Easynet Provisioning Team."

We'll see!!! :?
N/A

Looks like f2s are the boys to goto for fast lines now. Lets just hope their exchange rollout goes smoothly.
N/A

F2S are using the same equipment as UKOnline.

UKOnline are owned by Easynet. Easynet provide the LLUStream product under which F2S get there services, which is basicly the same product UKOnline are using.
N/A

While that being so F2S seam to be offering a far more compitent service than UKO... I just hope they stay true to their promiss's as I cant wait to get my hands on 8mbit then 24mbit.
N/A

Dont think my area will eva get 8mb. Hate living in the middle of know were
N/A

I also notice they block a number of incoming and outgoing ports as with PlusNet they don't block any ^_^