cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK's Embarrassingly Bad Speeds

N/A

LOOK! This is my friend's connection speed:

And another frind of mine just got upgraded from a 3MB line to 5MB for free.

These kind of screenshots make me realize how far behind we are in the UK, and I know these are nowhere near the fastest connections. Why are we so behind?

Sad
23 REPLIES
N/A

:shock:
N/A

Can I ask what country these are in?

Most of the rest of the world Broadband rollout is Government subsidised.

The UK sees the main player as BT, who are actualy hampered from rollout of many products, because they are unable to make the return they want, within having knuckles wacked by the watchdog. There is also no government subsidisation, for anything other than ADSL rollout to some areas.

Blair made me laugh a few years back. He sood in-front of the Labour conferance, and proclaimed how the government where helping to achieve a near complete broadband rollout by the end of 2005.

Which was tosh, as BT without help made the vow to do this.
N/A

Would not be suprised if its one of the Scandinavian countries, My WoW guild has a lot of Swedish and Norwegians in it, and the majority are on 10MBps or more, I made the mistake of assuming these speeds were only to available to those who lived in the cities but was told by one chap that he lives in a small village and the nearest city was Stockholm over 30 miles away, needless to say i was gobsmacked to find out just how antiquated we are here in the UK.

Broadband Britain lol what a joke!!
N/A

You think that's bad? Hong Kong is about to roll out a 1gb service this year!
N/A

yup net lines for something like $149 a month. So be the time we have 8mbit they will be on 1Gbit lines thats 128 times faster. I belive the lines are symetrical as well so they have good upload speeds. when you compair them to us we may as well still be on dial up when 8mbit is out. Other places in europe have 100mbit / 10mbit as the norm. So no matter what we you look at it for one of the more developed nations on this earth we sure of some of the slowest and expensive broadband.
N/A

The Hong Kong gigabit internet seems to be mainly a very large LAN as its supported with ordinary network switches, and the external connections from their network could in no way support so many symmetrical gigabit connections being run at near capacity so will be severely contended, especially during peak times.
N/A

true but then on the local LAN part of it things will be great and plus contention wouldnt be that much of an issue as I think anyone would be hard pressed to find enough content to max out a line that fast for very long.
Community Veteran

One thing you have to bear in mind is HongHong is just a very built up city. I don't imagine there are many farms or people living up mountains or on small outlying Islands like the UK has.

Chris
N/A

I agree that for Hong Kong the population density works greatly in its favour to provide economically viable high speed broadband but the density angle doesn't explain why the Scandinavian countries are so much further advanced than we are and would put it down to active financial support from their goverments that has led to their lead and not the lip service that ours pays to it.

That and not slapping BT hard enough to introduce newer technologies such as ethernet or last mile fibre, i mean fibre look at how long thats been around and what does BT have to show for it (a few villages in england).

I just cant wait for the day when technology can no longer compensate for the inadequacies of copper, hey at least a few villages in england will be fine or not the supreme irony being that those places with fibre need to get copper installed to get their broadband lol i just love short sighted Britain.
Community Veteran

The ironic thing about Fibre is it is used in some phone lines due to a lack of copper for new housing estates etc, but this has to be removed to allow ADSL to work.

I don't understand how they manage it in Sweden, has anyone looked into the geographical coverage these systems allow? Most high speed technologies are limited by distance, even if its just a costing problem. It would surpise me if the rollout of highspeed internet in these countries is not just limited to the big cities.

Chris
N/A

As i mentioned in a previous post (see above) it isn't just limited to the cities although that was also my original assumption as well.

Although i dont have any figures for Sweden or Norway, i know of at least one small town 30 miles from Stockholm does Smiley
N/A

Just been doing some reading up on Sweden

Broadband in Sweden has 85% coverage and they expect that to be 98% by 2005.
Average speed is >= 8Mbps with some getting upto 100Mbps.

In the cities its based on a fibre network it doesnt say what its using in rural areas.

All figures taken from here

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Publication____9972.aspx
hillers
Grafter

sounds like the entire uk telephone network needs updating, copper wires are just not good enough nowadays.

I live less than 2miles from my exchange and still can't give 2mb. I don't know much about sdsl, but it seems a waste of investment, bring on T3 technology!
N/A

you wont see that any time soon to be honist. BT is trying to stretch out what it has for as long as possable. Its madness because sure upgrading their whole network would cost a lot but its going to have to be done eventullay, though what I would really like to see is another company with their own national network and exchanges etc. I know its not going to happen but its the only way to get some real inovation due to competition. BT probably see it as why give people 10mbit when they will pay more for 512k and will like it because people dont know any better.

They could probably save a lot of money in the long run by rolling out something like a 1gbit capable network and just incrementally increasing the bandwidth on it, that way they wouldnt have to research trial rollout all the stepping stone techs like adsl, sdsl, adsl2+ etc...