cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two routers into one phone line?

colin_thames

Can anyone tell me if I can plug two routers into one phone line. I'm running one access point at present in my office upstairs, a wireless Netgear MR314, plugged into the Plusnet Modem, but the wireless won't reach the other end of my house, due to concrete walls and floors. Instead of running a CAT-5 cable down two floors I was wondering if I could plug in a second router into a phonesocket downstairs.
Otherwise, can anyone recommend a wireless access point that an aerial can be plugged int (and perhaps run down the side of the house)

Cheers

Colin
5 REPLIES
N/A

AFAIK, this is not possible. You can't have 2 ADSL devices on the same line.
colin_thames

Pity, how about a wireless router or access point that takes an external aerial for increased gain?
N/A

Hmm, I'm not much use on the wireless side. There are a few people on here that will be able to help you a lot more than I can though Smiley
N/A

You have a router so now you need a wireless access point only.
You can get them with detachable aerials where you can place the aerial anywhere you want. You can get one with a 'repeater function' eg you
can place the WAP at a mid point to extend the wireless range, I'm not sure if Netgear make one with this function.
N/A

An alternative would be to use the Phonex NeverWire 14 Powerline Ethernet Bridge - see the review at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q3/phonex-neverwire14.asp.

Tim