cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Routers Working Together?

N/A

Hi people,

I've just switched to PlusNet from NTL and am well and truly baffled by my home network. I was originally running a network consisting of a couple of PCs (Win XP) and a couple of Macs (OS X). These ran off a 4 port ethernet/broadband router which my old NTL cable modem plugged straight into. Everything was running via DHCP and it was all fine. I plugged it all in and it worked - great

My PlusNet ADSL modem/router (Voyager 205 ADSL Router) has arrived and, while it's connected to the net straight up, I just can't get it to work with my existing router. A direct connection (to either the router or the modem) is fine but as soon as I try to connect to the modem via the router, I get nothing. Both were using the same default IP address 192.168.1.1 so I tried changing the IP on the router to be 192.168.1.3 (and switching it's DHCP assignment to be 192.168.1.10 through to 192.168.1.254) but still no luck

That's about as far as my knowledge goes so now I'm a bit stuck. Anybody got a step by step idiots guide on how to set this up?

The Neil =Sad
7 REPLIES
N/A

You dont tell us what the NTL router is so its hard to say. If the NTL router is in fact a switch then all you need to do is attach the new router to one of its ports and make sure your pc's have the ip of the new router set as the default gateway and it should work ok.

What you need to do though is make sure your old routers ip is set to something different than you current one or you will get an ip conflict.

So the new router should be 192.168.1.1 and the old one can be 192.168.1.10 the default gateway for all pc's would then be 192.168.1.1. and there ip range would be 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.9.

You should then have 3 pc pluged into the old router and the network cable from the new router as well.
N/A

yay first spam of the new "how to network" tutorial by me Wink

http://www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/XP_Networking/Home_Networking.htm

hope that helps Wink
N/A

You dont tell us what the NTL router is so its hard to say. If the NTL router is in fact a switch then all you need to do is attach the new router to one of its ports and make sure your pc's have the ip of the new router set as the default gateway and it should work ok.

What you need to do though is make sure your old routers ip is set to something different than you current one or you will get an ip conflict.

So the new router should be 192.168.1.1 and the old one can be 192.168.1.10 the default gateway for all pc's would then be 192.168.1.1. and there ip range would be 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.9.

You should then have 3 pc pluged into the old router and the network cable from the new router as well.

I don't think I've explained myself exactly clearly. The NTL modem is now out of the picture (cable disconnected, in box under bed etc.) but as part of that original setup I'd bought a Mentor 4 port broadband router (sometime afterwards). The old modem plugged into this and everything was fine. With the Voyager modem I've hit the problem and I think that it's definitely the IP conflict that's the problem. I've tried changing the IP address on the router to be 192.168.1.5 and have it assign addresses from 192.168.1.10 upwards - no joy

I do have an 8 port NetGear switch (in another box under the bed) which might be an easier alternative to trying to get these two talking to each other. If I just plug everything into that (all PCs, Macs and the modem), will DHCP and everything else sort itself out?

Apologies for being a bit of a thickie but networking isn't really my thing Wink
Community Veteran

Two routers on a simple network are only going to cause problems.

See this thread on the same question;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26381

Chilly
Community Veteran

I do have an 8 port NetGear switch (in another box under the bed) which might be an easier alternative to trying to get these two talking to each other. If I just plug everything into that (all PCs, Macs and the modem), will DHCP and everything else sort itself out?

That will be far easlier to setup. You may have to enable DHCP.

Then sell the others on ebay Wink

Chilly
Highlighted
N/A

Just in case anyone cares, I swapped the router for a switch, plugged all the machines and the modem into it and it worked first time - no config work needed

Thanks for your help
N/A

cool, glad you got it working