cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tweaking

basils57
Dabbler

Tweaking

Everywhere I ask I am told to alter my MTU, which will apparently help with download speeds.
I've downloaded Dr TCP, but am totally bewildered and confused about what to enter and do with it.

Even Customer support just say 'change your MTU setting' - we are not all computer literate genius's, some of us just hope that paying our money gets us a service!

So, can anyone PLEASE explain in simple terms what I need to do (what do I put in the boxes? - is Dr TCP the way to do it even), as I desperatey want to admit to having a speed that is not an embarrasment.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on me and helps.
--
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Tweaking

> Everywhere I ask I am told to alter my MTU, which will apparently help with download speeds.
> I've downloaded Dr TCP, but am totally bewildered and confused about what to enter and do with it.
>
> Even Customer support just say 'change your MTU setting' - we are not all computer literate genius's, some of us just hope that paying our money gets us a service!
>
> So, can anyone PLEASE explain in simple terms what I need to do (what do I put in the boxes? - is Dr TCP the way to do it even), as I desperatey want to admit to having a speed that is not an embarrasment.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on me and helps.
>
> --
>
in the tcp recieve put 14180
in the both mtu boxes put 1458, this is what the recomendation was by bt and the one all most ofn the postings on these forums. It worked a rreat for me...for a while then went back to ***** again later. You can only try. When you've done it as well shut down after saving the settings in drtcp, dont just restart. Then go to www.dslreports.com/tweaks/ and run a test to see what it recomends.
missenden
Dabbler

> Everywhere I ask I am told to alter my MTU, which will apparently help with download speeds.
> I've downloaded Dr TCP, but am totally bewildered and confused about what to enter and do with it.
>
> Even Customer support just say 'change your MTU setting' - we are not all computer literate genius's, some of us just hope that paying our money gets us a service!
>
> So, can anyone PLEASE explain in simple terms what I need to do (what do I put in the boxes? - is Dr TCP the way to do it even), as I desperatey want to admit to having a speed that is not an embarrasment.
>
>
> --
> Here are my suggestions as a result of "tuning" up several PC's.
The process is staightforward, but rather slow and repetative, so allow time!

Step 1 - You have already downloaded Dr TCP - OK.
Go back to web page www.dslreports.com/faq/578.Make a hard copy of this page. This gives a good explantion of all the settings. You will see at the bottom of page 1 it mentions a formula for calculating a no called RWIN. To do this you need to find your "latency". How do I do this?

Step 2 - Go to web page www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pinger/asp ,this will do a ping test for you and you will get several nos for the ping time in milli secs. You will eventually need to do this at different times of day as the internet changes speed! However take the average nos from this and put them in the RWIN formula. This gives you a starting point for this value.

Step 3 - Go back to DR TCP and enter 1458 in the max MTU window. You will now need to enter a no in the tcp receive window, this should be an even multiple of (1458-40)=1418, and bigger than your rwin no. Click on Apply button.

Step 4 - Reboot your PC. YOU WILL NEED TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THESE VALUES! You have now altered these values, and can see the effect.

Step 5 - How do I check speed and see results of my changes? Go to www.ashampoo.com/products/0023/ , and download programme called internet accelerator. This is similiar to drtcp but more complicated .It also has an automtic optimisation feature - I wouln't use it, but it does have a test function which allows you to see the results of changes easily. You can always uninstall it when you are done.

I have found that mtu=1458, and rwin around 30,000 best.

Hope this helps - come back for further info if you need.
Roger

--
missenden
basils57
Dabbler

Guys

What can I say but thanks, I've just got my latest results - 468 down and 242 up.
It's not too long back that I was less than 40. Magic.
--
N/A

Roger,

that looks good, but are these settings for XP or another version of Windows? Does that matter?

Thanks in advance,

A.

missenden
Dabbler

>
>
>
>
> --
> To Adrian

I've used Win 98 & Win 98SE.

I believe the XP default values are faster, but it seems to be a matter of try it and see!

Hence my suggestion of using the Internet Accelerator program as this gives a "consitant" test method with the same URL's.

The caveat about time of day still applies. The early morning seems fastest, from the internet point of view, (eg America is asleep!).

Roger

--
missenden