cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to sort out my line woes.

N/A

I've had ongoing tickets with PN since the end of December. Before I go elsewhere I'm trying one last experiment to find the cause of my disconnect and up/down stable rate.

I found out today that I have a DECT phone which may cause interference. I've removed all power to it and unplugged it from the filter. I've also plugged the filter directly into the master socket again. Basically I am hoping that the phone is knacked and is disturbing the line and posting all this here is better than writing it on a piece of paper which I will lose!

Here is what I have as of 16:14 on Saturday 10th February.

Already, it is interesting to note that my connection speed is about 1000kbps higher than normal and 3000kbps faster than immediately before lugging into the master socket.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4544 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 45 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 24 db

My 'stable' rate is 500kbps. Cry

Here is the BTspeedtest result:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)4544 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 214 kbps

Very poor and probably due to the stable rate needing to increase and also the mysterious BB+ slowdown.

I intend to run like this for a week. Obviously having no land-line will be a PITA but if I can get a stable connection for a week then I can rule out most other issues.

Any thoughts/opinion along the way will be greatly appreciated.
17 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Speed 4544 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 5 db 24 db

Noise margin is very low. It actually reached 0 but the router (Netgear DG834) held on nicely. So, I'm assuming a drop like this is typical for the time of day but what can I do to improve it?
N/A

A DEC phone will cause problems and you need a high quality filter get the new type which is for 8 meg as some old ones only work on 2 meg. I have a DEC phone and getting a good filter made over 5db on my noise ratio. The other thing to do if you havent done it already is remove the ring wire which can greatly improve things
N/A

Well, I have had my first 'loss of synchronisation' and it erm... reconnected at an even higher speed. 5088kbps now!

I have an AdslNation XF-1E microfilter and I'm thinking of swapping it out for one of those filtered master socket jobbies. Would I still need to remove the ring wire with one of them?
Community Veteran

I would still remove the ring wire, it certainly had magical effects on my connection. You never know you may get 5.5M or even 6M Cheesy

Can I ask that you repost your line stat's when you try it.

Chilly
N/A

Another loss of synch, another increase in my connection speed!

Connection Speed 5568 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 13 db 24 db
N/A

I would still remove the ring wire, it certainly had magical effects on my connection. You never know you may get 5.5M or even 6M Cheesy

Can I ask that you repost your line stat's when you try it.

Chilly

At the moment I have my BB line plugged directly in the master socket that is normally hidden behind a panel at the main phone socket. The telephone is not connected. In this state is the ring wire disconnected?

As I understand it, anything not attached to the face plate is the property of BT and must not be tampered with. The face plate is now on the floor, seemingly only connected to an extension about forty feet away.
Community Veteran

Your ring wire is currently disconnected then.
As it is the ring wire to the extension phones that causes the problems.

Into the house only comes one pair of cables, the ring wire is then added in the Master socket.

Chilly
N/A

Right, so does this mean that my current readings are about as good as I can expect?

If I replace the old faceplate with a one of the mastered filter sockets I'm assuming the ring wire will still be disconnected. Would it have any bearing on performance though? I'd like to try and reduce the line attenuation as well.
N/A

Current BT speedtest result. Still nothing to write home about.

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5568 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 437 kbps
Community Veteran

Your current connections is as about as good as you will get.

The filtered face place is the way to go if you can leave the router at the master socket. When you fit this only two of the four wires to the extension will need to be connected.

If you google "ring wire removal" it will tell you which two.

Chilly
N/A

We don't use the extension so probably won't bother connecting it.
N/A

Another question.

Line attenuation before plugging into the test socket was 44db, it's now 45db. Noise margin was 13db, now 15 (but variable).

Should I have seen more of an improvement? The only thing that has improved is the connection speed.
N/A

Two losses of synch today and the connection speed has dropped to 5120kbps.

Still capped at 1000kbps by BT though.

Looking at a link to Line Attenuation vs Speed from another thread I see I should be getting a 4-5mb connection.
N/A

Does this picture give any clues to my problems? If it takes ages to load you can thank Plusnet.

I connect to the right hand box. Left one has a blank face-plate.

A blue/white wire from left box runs into black cable in right box and out of the building.

Cable at bottom of left box vanishes into skirting board/wall.