cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a lady's broadband going again.

N/A

Can you advise please? I am helping a lady whose memory is ten seconds long. It took a quite a while to work out that she is on Broadband with Free-online (Plus) - she had no idea who she was (is) with. I can access her email box with Magic Mail so that is OK. Her email has been archived due to lack of use. I can go to Free Online home page and log on as her so her account is alive. What I cannot do is get her DSL modem to work. I am playing at home with a talk-talk modem and can log on as me (Plus) and a friend who is also on Plus but if I change the username and password to hers I get nothing. From what I have read on the Plus and Free Online pages all the modem, DNS, settings are the same. Can suggestings be offered as to why I can access two Plus accounts, just by changing username and password, but cannot access the Free Online one. Free Online DSL username is (from web pages) username@freeonline.net and password is same as for email. Her username and password must be correct as I can log on to her email account and log on to her Free Online account by using my broadband connection. There must be another modem setting to change but I have no idea what it is. Sorry this is so long.
13 REPLIES
mherbert
Grafter

Some FreeOnline help pages for the BT Voyager 240 and Binatone ADSL2205 ADSL routers/modems suggest using

username@free-online.net

notice the -

Perhaps try that?
N/A

Are you doing all this at your house or hers? I would think you would have to do it at her house for it to work on her account as it may be going via a different router etc.

Does she have a adsl light on?

Can you sign on adsl at her house?
James
Grafter

You won't be able to access the free-online.net realm at home if you are set up on a PlusNet account. You will only have the @plusdsl.net realm configured on your line.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

As jamesbailey says you'll only be able to log on to the free-online realm at her house.

If you're still not able to connect there check that the ADSL light is on and that the network username for free-online isn't in another format (as epicedium suggested).

Depending which modem/router you are using the web interface may have a log or error messages that help to diagnose the problem.
N/A

Thank you. DSL light is on (I am sure I mentioned that) OK I note that I cannot access Free Online from here (I know about the '-' but, according to Free Online setup information there is no '-' in the DSL username; it is username@freeonline.net while there is a '-' in the email address and loggin onto the mail server: mail.free-online.net.

Logging on to Free Online as her, via my connection, I have put a message about the problem in the help section. That was Thursday about 10pm; so far (Friday 10pm) there is no reply.

I am visiting her again Sunday afternoon for another go at sorting it out. The reason I had to stop the last time was due to not knowing how to access, via a web page, her DSL modem (SafeCom SAMR-4110); now I know how to do that and have tried to talk her through it over the phone with no success. I don't envy help line people one bit.

Access to modem is 10.0.0.2
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW once you have the connection up you might consider getting her a VPN router. I have one at home and at work and provided the connection doesn't croak totally its remarkable how much can be fixed remotely.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I don't suppose I could possibly take the lady in question's username so that I could have a look into the ticket progress and see if there is anything I could do to help?
N/A

Lady is Miriam James. I have now solved the problem - the best thing I did was download, before going, as much as I could find on her DSL modem. The quick setup program enabled me to get it going again. Going into it via the web page link is highly technical, which would have taken ages to unravel.
Thanks for all comments and assistance. Lady now wants to move to Plus so the job is not done yet. Opened her a Dail Up with Plus and will later transfer broadband. Why does she want to do that? Her Free Online email address is a mile long and she is tired of spelling it out over the phone.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

As jamesbailey says you'll only be able to log on to the free-online realm at her house.

I thought you were not allowed to quote PN staff names here?

When ever I've done it I've had my posts eavily edited/removed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

You are not allowed to post agents names from ticket responses, however as forum replies are already in the public domain this shouldn't be a problem
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

The person's name is a user, not a member of the Plus Staff. I was asked to supply name by member of staff. I was actually asked to supply her username but did not do that. The person who was asking actually answered a post that I put onto her questions - loggin on with her details while trying to sort her problem out - so that person might have recognised the question. I expect there are so many questions that no link was made between the two things also, going by the none technical answers to an obviously techical person (me) I don't think much, if any thought was given to it. Various people answer questions so there is no continuity to a thread. The clue that was the most help, apart from my own work, was the information that a Plus Broadband connection cannot connect to a Free Online server; I thought it could as they are the same outfit.
I have now got her going again and have learnt something in the process. Thanks for the input and interest shown.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

going by the none technical answers to an obviously techical person (me) I don't think much, if any thought was given to it. Various people answer questions so there is no continuity to a thread.

Are you commenting on the thread here on the forums, or the information passed to you in the ticket? If you feel that the information sent via the ticket was unsatisfactory them perhaps you could PM James and I'm sure he'll take a look at this for you.

The person's name is a user, not a member of the Plus Staff.

I'm not sure if you're referring to jamesbailey or to me here. I'm not connected to PlusNet (except as a paying customer), jamesbailey is a member of the PlusNet comms team and an excellent source of information and fault finding.
N/A

The person's name I mentioned prevously is a user of Free Online. The replies to the ticket I raised on her account were none technical, maybe thinking I am a woman as I was asking via her account even though I said who I was. It is all done now and I am not complaining about anything as I just tend to get on with it regardless of any help I might, or might not received from people I may enquire of. Any advise or help from this forum is extra to any help I might get via a ticket. I just note a name in passing that is the same as replied to the ticket, but may not be the same person from Plus, or Free Online. The general answer given in the ticket was 'phone us'. I am wishing you all well in this Forum.