Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to gain connection with a Netgear DG834PN

N/A

Hi there,
after a bit of guidance please.

I'm trying to configure my gf's parents DG834PN with a new ADSL connection ,from yours truly, over the phone - ie on the phone to her parents.

I've configured my own DG834G with no problems.

The line has been enabled, and we have the filter plugged in, router plugged in, and the 'I' is lit to show connectivity.

I have got them to connect a desktop pc (Brand new) to the router via the ethernet cable, and perform the autoconfigure feature, I have set the username and password as per the account.

The computer is connected via the supplied ethernet cable, but when you try to browse to any page, it searches through, co.com.net etc, and then times out

But you can ping various websites - bbc.co.uk, hotmail.com.

If I perfom an IP config it also shows a proper IP address, and I can also connect to the router remotely from my house.

Connection status on the router looks fine, so I'm a little confused.

I assumed that if the setting in IE was set to 'never dial a connection' it would take whatever it was receiving over the ethernet and default to that.

Am I doing something mind numbingly stupid...?

I expect if I had it all there in front of me it would be a piece of cake, but having to deribe commands over the phone is a little tricky.

Any opinions advice gratefully received, if I can't fix it over the phone tomorrow we will likely have to pay them a visit the foollowing weekend - though I might try and get the WLAN working as hey have a laptop.

Cheers

Dan
10 REPLIES
chymorva
Grafter

Hi Dan,
Have you tried removing all Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings (rather than just selecting 'Never dial a connection) ?
Community Veteran

what do you mean by 'a proper IP address'?

How is the PC configured? Is it configured to obtain it's IP address (and DNS) automatically or is it configured for a static IP. If a static, change it to obtain automatically (for DNS also) and reboot the PC. Also make sure DHCP is enabled on the router.

ALso make sure in IE settings (connections) that no proxy is setup under lan settings - although being a new PC I presume it has never been connected to the internet before - but check anyway.

I assume when you say the status is OK that it is sync'd to the exchange and has a PN IP address & DNS IP address setup.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi Dan,
Just re-read your original post and had another thought: Have you set DNS on router and computer correctly ?
N/A

Hi there,
I haven't made any chaged to the DNS setting on the router, but as I did the 'detect my connection' setting, and they seemed to tally up with my own settings, I assumed they were fine.

But thinking about it, perhaps it is the DNS settings that are problematic.

By proper IP address, I mean one that is very similar to the one I have when connected on Plusnet - we both are subscribers.

Yep, IP address is automatic, and definitely set to DHCP - fresh out of the box, but checked these anyway - just to be safe.

Definitely no proxy/wins/dns settings in internet explorer either.

Thinking about it, do I need to make a note of the dns servers off the router and input these onto the desktop?

My connection at home is just over wireless, and did not have to do that then.

Thanks for all the swift responses - I'm very thankful!

Dan
chymorva
Grafter

Thinking about it, do I need to make a note of the dns servers off the router and input these onto the desktop?

No. On the desktop select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
avalon
Grafter

I had a problem with a netgear DG834g with XP. It steadfastly refused to work properly with autoconfigured DNS settings. Once I manually set the Plusnet DNS servers in the connection settings of XP it worked perfectly.

It might be worth trying.
N/A

Thanks for all the suggestions - DNS will be set to obtain automatically, but I may try the manual entries as reported by the router.

The machine did come with AOL installed, but I removed that, and removed the references to it from tools\internet option\conections

Thanks

Dan
N/A

Ive got ecactly the same prob with a Netgear DG834G, router connects to internet but i cant seem to connect to the internet through the router Sad.

Update: Ive just borrowed a m8s speedtouch 585 and it connects jsut fine :S, Though no port forwarding that i can see.
N/A

just a thought ,but try running the network setup wizard again & restart you pc .
lengreen

I had a problem with a netgear DG834g with XP. It steadfastly refused to work properly with autoconfigured DNS settings. Once I manually set the Plusnet DNS servers in the connection settings of XP it worked perfectly.

It might be worth trying.

I had a similar problem with my laptop running XP. I tried the same solution and it now works fine